Worst TAing/Teaching experience.

• Thread starter maverick_starstrider
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Experience
In summary, I've had students who have done calculations wrong, failed to remember formulas, and even plagiarized.
maverick_starstrider said:
[itex] ds=cos(x)\rightarrow \frac{ds}{s}=co(x) \rightarrow d=co(x) [/itex]
I think it's a rather comic situation. While in class, a student made quite a decent calculation on the board and came up with the result
[tex]\frac{\sin\theta}{\cos\theta}[/tex]
and thought he was done. I loved my math teacher, I swear he was wearing the same clothes every single day, I'm sure he had 5 or 10 identical red shirts. Anyway, obviously he was expecting a tangent, so he insisted on the last step, but the poor student did not remember it. So the teacher took the chalk, and wrote
[tex]\frac{\sin\theta}{\cos\theta}=\frac{in}{co}[/tex]
For a few moments there was despair in the student's eyes. Few of us burst into laughs, and the teacher apologized.

Science news on Phys.org
Oh there was also this other time when the physics teacher was drawing a solenoid, a current flow, the direction of the field, erased this and that, then draws the expected trajectory, and ends up with a huge smiley on the black board. As soon as she realized why we were laughing, she erased it promptly.

Astronuc said:
There are some quantities that must always be positive. One cannot have a negative number of apples, for example.

Hmmph! Of course you can! You make it a positive number by planting apple seeds. :biggrin: (Afterall, if the spreadsheet can have negative dollars, surely one can have negative apples for the ones owed to someone else.)