Would a flattened (sheet glass) dispersion prism work?

In summary: I appreciate your input and will definitely be taking note, unfortunately it still does not answer my original question.In summary, a flattened prism would work as a dispersion prism if the thickness is large enough.
norlesh
Could a thin sheet of glass with appropriate edge angles work as a dispersion prism? If the prism were laying flat my thoughts are the light should be contained via TIR in a plane that would remain perpendicular to the top and bottom while said plane dispersed horizontally according to wavelength - would polarization effect this? Does such a device have a name?

Physics news on Phys.org
norlesh said:
Could a thin sheet of glass with appropriate edge angles work as a dispersion prism?
Do you mean some kind of prism but with very small apex angle? Such device is usually called optical wedge, commonly used to tune the dispersion of a laser pulse.

blue_leaf77 said:
Do you mean some kind of prism but with very small apex angle?

No, the angles would be normal like say a 60:60:60 but the height would be much less than the widths of the three sides.

By height I think you meant thickness, am I wrong? If the thickness is too small so that the incoming beam diameter cannot be contained completely, I think such device will have no significant use. What do you want to achieve?

blue_leaf77 said:
By height I think you meant thickness, am I wrong? If the thickness is too small so that the incoming beam diameter cannot be contained completely, I think such device will have no significant use. What do you want to achieve?

Thickness is possibly a more accurate term, my use of height was in relation to the first post where I specified the geometry was laying flat... The thickness would of course be wide enough to accept the full beam (but no thicker) - the objective is to have a very large prism, the frequencies separated on one edge and a motorized sensor/collector that travels along the glass edge to where the appropriate frequencies are emerging.

Why is the prism height a restriction in your desired setup? In thorlabs website the thinnest prism they offer has 10 mm of thickness. And how large do you want your prism to be and why need that large?

Depending on other parameters, the side the disbursed beam emerges from could be anywhere up to 1 meter (the larger the edge, the better the resolution) - it will be a polychromator for an experiment I'm planning.

Last edited:
You can use a very dispersive prism material to increase the resolution. Alternatively you can also disperse light using grating, in which case the overall size can be significantly smaller than when using prism.

blue_leaf77 said:
You can use a very dispersive prism material to increase the resolution. Alternatively you can also disperse light using grating, in which case the overall size can be significantly smaller than when using prism.

I will be using the highest refractive index I can find for the glass, and as for gratings I need to separate and collect the full beam while most of the beam in a grating ends up in the zero-order mode which is not separated.

Which leaves me with the original question of whether or not the flattened prism would function?

Well as long as the whole beam can go in, there is no difference between a thick and a thinner (but again, it can still accept all parts of the beam) prisms.

blue_leaf77 said:
Well as long as the whole beam can go in, there is no difference between a thick and a thinner (but again, it can still accept all parts of the beam) prisms.
It accepts the whole beam, but the beam will have diverged during its travel (unavoidable due to path length) inside the prism enough that it will interact with the top and bottom - so there is a difference.

I'm wondering just how large are the edges and how small is the height. For example a well collimated beam, e.g. 2 mrad of divergence angle, will have its diameter increased by 2 mm after traveling a distance of 50 cm. I think typical beam diameter in most applications is less or equal to 5 mm, this gives only 7 mm of beam diameter increase after traveling 50 cm. In that case, a thickness of 10 mm of the prism will be safe enough to suppress the reflection at the upper and bottom parts of the prism.

10 mm is getting REALLY heavy if things go toward the 1 metre end of the scale. I appreciate your input and will definitely be taking note, unfortunately it still does not answer my original question.

I didn't think the size would reach that big, I think there should be available polychromator in the market that works just well, are they too expensive? This is my final suggestion though, if you are concerned with beam divergence inside the prism, you can consider focusing the beam inside the prism such that the whole beam path inside the prism still lies within the Rayleigh length of the focusing geometry, obviously it will require loose focusing. Consider beam waist at the focus of only 1 mm, refractive index 1.5, and wavelength 700 nm, if google had done no mistakes in calculating the Rayleigh length, it should yield 6.7 m of collimated region (this means 6.7 m to the left and to the right from the focal point inside the prism the beam radius only widens until 1.41 mm, in which case a prism thickness of about 3 mm should be enough. But a 1 m sides prism with thickness of 3 mm, can you imagine how fragile that thing would be?). You can probably use this site to estimate the required focal length for such arrangement: http://www.calctool.org/CALC/phys/optics/f_NA

By the way, I think you can also do something with that unusually big sides of your prism, for example you can apply some highly reflective coating on the exit surface of the prism, so that the dispersed rays will bounce back instead of going out and hence increasing the path length inside prism. I think this way you can reduce the size up to some extent.

Last edited:

1. How does a flattened dispersion prism work?

A flattened dispersion prism works by using the principles of refraction and dispersion to separate white light into its component colors. The light enters the prism and is refracted at different angles depending on its wavelength, causing the colors to spread out. This is due to the different speeds at which different wavelengths travel through the glass.

2. What is the purpose of a flattened dispersion prism?

The purpose of a flattened dispersion prism is to create a spectrum of colors from white light. This is useful in scientific experiments, photography, and other applications where separating the different colors of light is necessary.

3. How is a flattened dispersion prism different from a regular prism?

A flattened dispersion prism is different from a regular prism in that it has a flat surface on one side, while a regular prism is triangular in shape. The flat surface allows for easier use and manipulation in experiments and photography. Additionally, a flattened dispersion prism is specifically designed to separate white light into a spectrum, while a regular prism may have other uses such as reflecting or bending light.

4. Can a flattened dispersion prism be used with other types of light besides white light?

Yes, a flattened dispersion prism can be used with other types of light besides white light. The principle of refraction and dispersion still applies to other types of light, such as infrared or ultraviolet light. However, the angle of refraction and resulting spectrum may be different compared to white light.

5. Is a flattened dispersion prism a necessary tool in scientific experiments?

It depends on the specific experiment and its objectives. A flattened dispersion prism may not be necessary for all experiments, but it can be a useful tool in many cases. For example, in experiments involving spectroscopy or studying the properties of light, a flattened dispersion prism may be essential. However, in other experiments where separating light into a spectrum is not relevant, a flattened dispersion prism may not be necessary.