Would a non radiative atmosphere be isothermal?

In summary, many physicists entertain the notion of a non radiative atmosphere being isothermal as a function of height. However, this is a physical reality only if there is no heat flow. If there is heat flow, the atmosphere will be non-isotropic and the vertical profile will be turbulent.
Geoffw
Many credited physicists have entertained the notion of a non radiative atmosphere being isothermal as a function of height.

But is this a physical reality?

Many physicists accept the macroscopic conclusions of kinetic theory, the gas laws. Statistical mechanics. Experimentally verifiable results from a set of provably reliable assumptions.

So what is wrong with these assumptions and their inevitable conclusions;

"Particles are small and spend most of their time between collisions. They have mass, and therefore feel gravity."

The inclusion of the latter in the frame of the former requires that 'information' about gravity is invested in the very framework of collisional energy transfer.

This is supported by data.

So what, despite supporting data, is wrong with kinetic theory. Why is it not supported by the scientific community?

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
What do you mean by "isothermal as a function of height"? Do you mean that the temperature is (horizontally) isothermal at each height?

olivermsun said:
What do you mean by "isothermal as a function of height"? Do you mean that the temperature is (horizontally) isothermal at each height?

No, without the ability to radiate, it is often accepted that the vertical profile would be isothermal. Under those circumstances the atmosphere would be isotropic within its volume.

I find this an unacceptable asssumption in a gravity field.

What do you think?

@Geoffw
What I think: please supply a source (refereed ) article for your comments. I cannot separate what you think from what you are basing your statements on.
Thanks!

The lack of solar radiation heating during the day and cooling by radiation at night, would reduce thermal density changes and therefore vertical movement of the atmosphere.

But what about the Coriolis forces that break the atmosphere into slowly rotating high pressure systems with many smaller counter-rotating low pressure eddies between them? Will that not generate some vertical circulation?

Geoffw said:
No, without the ability to radiate, it is often accepted that the vertical profile would be isothermal. Under those circumstances the atmosphere would be isotropic within its volume.

I find this an unacceptable asssumption in a gravity field.

What do you think?
I think that it is a correct assumption in absence of heat flow, due to properties of Maxwell distribution.
Climbing in a gravity field, the slower molecules fall back down, but the faster molecules slow down. The net result is that at an higher altitude, there are fewer molecules, but their average speed is exactly the same as below.

Thread closed temporarily for Moderation...

jim mcnamara said:
@Geoffw
What I think: please supply a source (refereed ) article for your comments. I cannot separate what you think from what you are basing your statements on.
Thanks!
Thread will remain closed until @Geoffw can send me a private message with the refereed papers that he is referring to.

1. What is a non-radiative atmosphere?

A non-radiative atmosphere is one that does not transfer heat through radiation. This means that the temperature of the atmosphere is not affected by incoming or outgoing radiation from the sun or other sources.

2. How does a non-radiative atmosphere differ from a radiative atmosphere?

In a radiative atmosphere, heat is transferred through both convection (movement of air) and radiation (transfer of energy through electromagnetic waves). In a non-radiative atmosphere, heat is only transferred through convection.

3. What causes an isothermal atmosphere?

An isothermal atmosphere is caused by constant temperature throughout the atmosphere. This can occur in a non-radiative atmosphere because there is no variation in temperature due to radiation.

4. What would be the implications of a non-radiative, isothermal atmosphere?

In a non-radiative, isothermal atmosphere, there would be no temperature differences between different parts of the atmosphere. This could lead to a lack of atmospheric circulation and weather patterns, as well as difficulties for living organisms to adapt to a consistent temperature.

5. Is a non-radiative, isothermal atmosphere possible on Earth?

No, a non-radiative, isothermal atmosphere is not possible on Earth. Our atmosphere is heated by both incoming solar radiation and outgoing radiation from the Earth's surface, leading to temperature differences and atmospheric movement. Without this radiation, the Earth's atmosphere would not be able to maintain a consistent temperature.