Would amateur be able to take the flash out of a disposable camera and

In summary, a person can create an electric device by using a disposable camera with a circuit board and a capacitor. This device can shock someone if it is mishandled.
Vlfe
...set it up in some kind of circuit in which I can press a button/ hit a switch and have the flash go off?

I need to create and electric device of some sort, and seeing as I have a bare minimum supplies, I thought this may be plausable. I also need to draw circuit diagram to this.

I am in basic physics, having just learned about electric potential, and fields and now moving onto electric currents, for which this assignment is catagorized under.

So my question, does this seem realistic, for having absolutely no experience in creating electronical devices? Are there any online resources where I could seak help in doing so? Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you for your time :)

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I did it. Made a flash "bomb".

Be warned: The capacitor carries very high voltage - enough to give you a deuce of a shock and leave a burn!

Do you recommend any certain kind of camera? Any tips or suggestions? I really am quite lost in how I am going to manage doing this.

Vlfe said:
Do you recommend any certain kind of camera? Any tips or suggestions? I really am quite lost in how I am going to manage doing this.

I used a disposable camera. Tore it apart, keeping the circuit board, with capacitor, flash, and battery and button.

Now, I have just enough electronics knowledge to get into trouble, and I did work in photography at the time, so I wasn't totally in the dark.

I caution you again, this may not be the project for someone who is not experienced. These capacitors operate with hundreds of volts and can give you quite a wallop. When I was working on this, to prove a point, I shorted the contacts across a screwdriver. It left two burn divots in the screwdriver. That could be your finger.

the shock can be painful.
use one hand only so it can never go through your chest..
never handle with wet hands.

1-hour photolab at drugstore or mall will probably give you a sackfull of disposable cameras for free. saves them recycling the batteries.

1. Can an amateur take the flash out of a disposable camera?

Yes, it is possible for an amateur to remove the flash from a disposable camera. However, it may require some basic technical knowledge and tools.

2. What tools are needed to remove the flash from a disposable camera?

The tools needed will vary depending on the specific disposable camera model. But generally, a small screwdriver, pliers, and scissors may be useful in removing the flash component.

3. Is it safe to remove the flash from a disposable camera?

Removing the flash from a disposable camera can be potentially dangerous if not done properly. The flash capacitor holds a high voltage charge, so it is important to discharge it before attempting to remove it. It is recommended to seek guidance from a professional or follow a tutorial carefully.

4. Can I replace the flash with a new one?

Yes, if the flash component is damaged or not functioning, it is possible to replace it with a new one. However, this requires some technical knowledge and may be a difficult task for amateurs. It is recommended to seek professional help or consult a tutorial.

5. What are the risks of removing the flash from a disposable camera?

Aside from the potential danger of the high voltage charge, there is also a risk of damaging the camera if not done correctly. It is important to have a good understanding of the camera's internal components and follow proper procedure to avoid any damage to the camera.