Would asymptomatic safe gravity grow weaker like QCD?

In summary, the concept of asymptotic safety in quantum gravity proposes that the theory approaches a UV fixed point at high energies, where the dimensionful Newton constant vanishes and the cosmological constant diverges. This is supported by the idea that the dimensionless versions of the theory approach a fixed point, and that in the case of gravity, weak interactions at high energies may be incompatible with the holographic principle. However, there are still questions surrounding the non-perturbative aspects of gravity, such as black holes and holography, in the asymptotic safety scenario. This has led to debates about the validity of the holographic principle in this context.
kodama
QCD is asymptomatic safe well known to grow weaker at higher energies.

if gravity is also asymptotic safe would it grow weaker at higher energies instead of stronger as predicted by classical GR?

if not, is it possible there is a quantum gravity theory that like QCD grows weaker at higher energies?

i.e at low energies it is described as GR, but at high energies it is QCD-like and grows weaker

QCD-gluons and gravitons are non-abelian self-interacting bosons

Physics news on Phys.org
As far as I understand the proposal, what one requires is that the system approaches a UV fixed point at high energies. The fixed point could be non-interacting but generically I would expect some order one dimensionless interaction strength. Although I haven't thought carefully about it, I would guess that in the case of gravity one could argue against weak interactions at high energy as incompatible with the holographic principle.

EDIT: More generally, I don't understand much about how non-perturbative aspects of gravity - black holes, holography, etc. - are supposed to work in the asymptotic safety scenario.

Likes kodama
kodama said:
if not, is it possible there is a quantum gravity theory that like QCD grows weaker at higher energies?
In partial answer, in the most recent review paper I know of on AsymSafe QG, on page 36 it says
==quote http://arxiv.org/pdf/1202.2274.pdf ==
Hence for k → ∞ and d > 2 the dimensionful Newton constant vanishes while the cosmological constant diverges.
==endquote==

The parameter k is like a wave number, an inverse length. So for low k (the IR or coarse scale) the Newton constant G and the cosmo constant Λ are the usual G and Λ.

A commonly discussed form of the theory concerns dimensionless versions gk and λk which approach a fixed point g*, λ*

As for the dimensionful versions, Gk = gk/k2 goes to zero as g*/k2 and Λk = λkk2 diverges as λ*k2

Likes kodama
Physics Monkey said:
As far as I understand the proposal, what one requires is that the system approaches a UV fixed point at high energies. The fixed point could be non-interacting but generically I would expect some order one dimensionless interaction strength. Although I haven't thought carefully about it, I would guess that in the case of gravity one could argue against weak interactions at high energy as incompatible with the holographic principle.

EDIT: More generally, I don't understand much about how non-perturbative aspects of gravity - black holes, holography, etc. - are supposed to work in the asymptotic safety scenario.

maybe the holographic principle is wrong?

1. What is asymptomatic safe gravity?

Asymptomatic safe gravity is a theoretical framework in physics that aims to reconcile the two fundamental theories of gravity: general relativity and quantum mechanics. It proposes that gravity behaves differently at extremely small scales, where quantum effects dominate, compared to larger scales where classical mechanics applies.

2. How does asymptomatic safe gravity differ from general relativity?

General relativity is a classical theory that describes the behavior of gravity at large scales, while asymptomatic safe gravity takes into account quantum effects at small scales. It also suggests that the strength of gravity may vary depending on the energy scale at which it is measured.

3. Is asymptomatic safe gravity a proven theory?

No, asymptomatic safe gravity is still a theoretical framework and has not been experimentally verified. It is an active area of research in theoretical physics and many scientists are working on developing and testing this theory.

4. How does asymptomatic safe gravity relate to QCD?

QCD (Quantum Chromodynamics) is a theory that describes the strong nuclear force, which is one of the four fundamental forces of nature. Asymptomatic safe gravity and QCD are both theories that aim to unify fundamental theories and explain the behavior of particles at different scales. However, they focus on different forces and phenomena.

5. Can asymptomatic safe gravity explain the behavior of black holes?

One of the main motivations for developing asymptomatic safe gravity is to better understand the behavior of black holes, which are objects with extremely strong gravitational fields. Asymptomatic safe gravity proposes that the strength of gravity may decrease at very small scales, which could have implications for our understanding of black holes and their formation.