Would I Be Considered A Transfer Or Undergraduate?

In summary, the conversation discusses a junior in high school from Oklahoma who is interested in applying to the University of California, Berkeley. They mention the option of concurrent enrollment for high school and college credit, and the confusion of whether they would be considered an undergraduate or a transfer student due to having college credits. They also mention contacting the university for clarification, but receiving an impersonal response. The conversation ends with the individual expressing their desire to leave Oklahoma and their uncertainty about their student status for the application.
InsanelyApple
I am a junior in high school living in Oklahoma and am interested in applying to the University of California, Berkeley when I can in my senior year. Now here is where things get complicated.

In Oklahoma, high school students with high-ish grades (B or higher) have the option of concurrent enrollment, taking college classes during the high school year for high school AND college credit. Now I am currently taking AP Calculus BC and AP Physics I (with Calculus I don't know the A/B/C thing that goes after Physics). So the next logical step if I pass the AP tests would be to take Calculus III and Physics II at the local college using concurrent enrollment, but I don't know if I'd be considered an Undergraduate or a Transfer if I apply to the University of California next year.

I'd be considered an Undergraduate since I just got out of high school, but I'd be a transfer since I have college credit. :confused:

I have already contacted the University of California about this but I got this impersonal response back.
University of California said:
Dear, Christopher

Thank you for your email of November 21, 2011
Due to the complex nature of your inquiry, and to ensure that you receive prompt, accurate, and personal answers to your questions, please call the Processing Service directly. You can reach us at 1-800-523-2048 (in California) or (925) 808-2181 (from outside of California). Our office hours are 8:15 am to 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday.
What really bugs me about this email is how I said I was outside of California but they bothered to include the California phone number. :grumpy:

Also the University of California only accept transfers in their Junior year of college but I want to get out of Oklahoma as fast as possible since this is in my opinion one of the worst states in the nation. (I'd probably just take more AP classes instead of college classes if I'd be considered a transfer because of this reason).

I will probably contact them before Thanksgiving Break is over but I really hate to talk on the phone. :cry:

What do you think I'd be considered?

Physics news on Phys.org
should be a regular student, i think a lot of kids who go to harvard / mit / caltech / etc all have taken college classes while still in hs, so apply as you normally would, but still contact them to see about the procedure :P

1. What is the difference between a transfer student and an undergraduate?

A transfer student is someone who has previously attended another college or university and is transferring to a new institution. An undergraduate student, on the other hand, is someone who is attending college for the first time or has not attended a college or university before.

2. How do I know if I am considered a transfer student or an undergraduate?

If you have previously attended college, even for just one semester, you are most likely considered a transfer student. If you are entering college for the first time, you are an undergraduate student. It is always best to check with your chosen institution to confirm their classification policy.

3. Will my previous college credits transfer if I am considered a transfer student?

Yes, in most cases, your previous college credits will transfer to your new institution as long as they are from an accredited college or university and you have received a passing grade. However, the number of credits that will transfer and how they will count towards your degree may vary.

4. Can I apply as both a transfer student and an undergraduate?

Some institutions may allow you to apply as both a transfer student and an undergraduate, but it is not common. It is important to carefully review the application requirements and guidelines to determine which category you fall under.

5. Do I need to provide different documents or information as a transfer student compared to an undergraduate?

Yes, as a transfer student, you will need to provide transcripts from all previous colleges or universities you have attended. As an undergraduate student, you may only need to provide your high school transcripts. Additionally, transfer students may also be required to submit a transfer application or additional essays.