Would Increasing the Mass of Metal Reduce Errors in Specific Heat Calculations?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Marcin H
Messages
306
Reaction score
6

Homework Statement


I had a lab where we put 50 grams of a metal smaple into a little bowl and then heated it with steam from a big beaker thing. Anyway, my question is about the errors I got in this lab when finding the specific heat of the metal. I had some high percent errors for Aluminum and Tin. Would my results improve if I used more of the metal? A larger mass of the metal?

Homework Equations


Q=mc(delta t)

The Attempt at a Solution


Have not attempted this.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Depends on the source of errors.

Can you list them and think, which of them can depend on the mass of metal used?