Would it be possible to observe an alien city?

• I
  • Thread starter momo666
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Alien
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using a telescope to observe an alien city on a distant planet. It is mentioned that the requirements, such as the size of the mirror, may make this idea seem like wishful thinking, but it is theoretically possible. It is also noted that the distance between the telescope and the planet would greatly affect the resolution and ability to observe structures on the planet. Ultimately, it is concluded that the technology and limitations of telescopes currently make this scenario highly unlikely.
momo666
Under what circumstances would a telescope be able to observe an alien city, supposing such a structure was present on a planet?
Are the requirements so high, say the mirror size, that this is simply wishful thinking or is this actually possible?
More specifically, suppose our imagined telescope is 15m in diameter. Is that a fundamental limit that prevents us from achieving such a feat? From what I gather, this kind of observation and detail would require an enormous diameter.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I don't recall the formulas for calculating the necessary mirror size. It might be possible to find evidence of alien activity (assuming they exist) through radio transmissions.

Last edited:
This is far, far out of the realm of possibility. We can't image exoplanets, and indeed most stars.

momo666 said:
Under what circumstances would a telescope be able to observe an alien city, supposing such a structure was present on a planet?
Are the requirements so high, say the mirror size, that this is simply wishful thinking or is this actually possible?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angular_resolution

Likes Vanadium 50 and scottdave
So there's your answer - for all but the very nearest stars, the mirror would need to be bigger than the earth.

Say the mirror is bigger than the Earth or whatever huge diameter our thought experiment requires. Would that merely give us a picture of the star or would it allow us to observe structures on the orbiting planets?
If it only gives us a picture of the star, are we talking about 2 pixels added together or something like what Hubble gives us when we observe a crater on the Moon?

Edit: So this will clear it up I think.
Suppose the target is 1 light year away and our mirror diameter is 100m. What would be the angular resolution? My math is bad so I got 10m.
What if the mirror diameter is the size of the Earth?

Last edited:
momo666 said:
Say the mirror is bigger than the Earth or whatever huge diameter our thought experiment requires. Would that merely give us a picture of the star or would it allow us to observe structures on the orbiting planets?
If it only gives us a picture of the star, are we talking about 2 pixels added together or something like what Hubble gives us when we observe a crater on the Moon?

Edit: So this will clear it up I think.
Suppose the target is 1 light year away and our mirror diameter is 100m. What would be the angular resolution? My math is bad so I got 10m.
What if the mirror diameter is the size of the Earth?
berkeman said:
Asked and answered. Thread closed for now.

1. Can we use telescopes to observe an alien city?

Unfortunately, current telescopes are not powerful enough to observe an alien city. The distance between Earth and any potential alien civilization is simply too great for our telescopes to capture any detailed images.

2. Is it possible for us to physically visit an alien city?

At this time, it is not possible for humans to physically visit an alien city. The vast distances and lack of technology to travel at the speed of light make it nearly impossible for us to reach any potential alien civilizations.

3. Are there any other methods we could use to observe an alien city?

Some scientists have proposed using radio telescopes to listen for signals or transmissions from alien civilizations. However, this method relies on the assumption that the aliens are using similar technology and that their signals would reach Earth.

4. How likely is it that we will ever observe an alien city?

The likelihood of observing an alien city is currently unknown. While there is a possibility of intelligent life existing elsewhere in the universe, the vastness of space and the limitations of our technology make it difficult to predict when or if we will ever make contact with an alien civilization.

5. What would be the significance of observing an alien city?

The discovery of an alien city would have immense scientific and cultural significance. It would confirm the existence of intelligent life beyond Earth and potentially open up new avenues for research and exploration. It could also challenge our understanding of the universe and our place in it.