1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Would modeling collisions using Coulomb forces be useful?

1. Jan 16, 2014 #1
    Hi, I am trying to decide on a topic for my senior project, and my professor and I fleetingly discussed my idea of writing a program that models collisions of macroscopic objects using the mutual repulsive forces of their valence electrons rather than standard conservation laws. My question is, is this a worthwhile pursuit? Would trying to analyze collisions in this way make it more complicated, or might this be more useful than using conservation laws in some scenarios?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2014 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

What do you think you will learn from this?

How do you plan on modeling 10^23 electrons?

4. Jan 16, 2014 #3
    I was intending to use a continuous distribution of charge over a weirdly shaped surface, rather than just individual charges.

5. Jan 16, 2014 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You are thinking of modelling the valence electrons as some sort of restricted-motion fluid over the surface of the object with a fixed distribution of positive charge under it?

It would depend on the application ... there is no way to tell in advance if it will be useful.
    I have a feeling it is the sort of thing people try every now and again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook