Would someone me with some basic algebra?

Thanks!In summary, the conversation discusses simplifying equations with exponents and the use of LaTeX typesetting. The conversation also mentions a general formula for multiplying expressions with exponents and corrects a mistake in the formula.
Krazie
How would I simplify this equation? (3a^3)^-3(9a^-1)^-2
When I put those carrots in that means the next number is an exponent. Is there any easier way to write exponents?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
How would I simplify this one: (2a^-1)^-2(2a^-1)^4

Would the simplified expression of the second equation be 4/a ?

Carrot :biggrin: That's "caret", btw :wink:

Anyway, "distribute" some of the exponents. For example, [tex](2a^{-1})^{-2} = 2^{-2} \cdot a^{(-1)(-2)} = \frac{1}{2^2} \cdot a^2 = a^2/4 [/tex]. Then do the same for the other paranthesis, multiply them together, etc.

The last one is almost 4/a, it's 4/a^2...

Last edited:
As far as "(2a^-1)-2(2a^-1)4" is concerned, there is a general formula: axay= ax+y.

(Edit: replaced x*y with x+y!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Krazie said:
When I put those carrots in that means the next number is an exponent. Is there any easier way to write exponents?

You can use LaTeX typesetting. Refer to this thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=8997

Also, you can click on the expressions that Muzza typed out to see how he did it.

HallsofIvy said:
As far as "(2a^-1)-2(2a^-1)4" is concerned, there is a general formula: axay= ax*y.

you mean axay= ax+y

ah nice hello. I thought that I was the only one that caught that. That would be sad. Thanks guys, this really helps, sorry if I bore you all with these simple problems, but i have to start somewhere.

HallsofIvy said:
As far as "(2a^-1)-2(2a^-1)4" is concerned, there is a general formula: axay= ax*y.

Do you perhaps mean (ax)y = ax*y?

Yes, I just corrected it!

Related to Would someone me with some basic algebra?

1. Can you explain the basics of algebra to me?

Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with symbols and the rules for manipulating those symbols. It involves solving equations and finding unknown values. The basic operations in algebra are addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

2. How can I improve my understanding of algebra?

To improve your understanding of algebra, it is important to practice solving problems and familiarize yourself with the basic concepts and rules. You can also seek help from a tutor or join a study group to further enhance your understanding.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid in algebra?

Some common mistakes to avoid in algebra include not following the correct order of operations, making calculation errors, and forgetting to distribute or combine like terms. It is important to double-check your work and be aware of these common mistakes.

4. Can you provide some tips for solving algebraic equations?

When solving algebraic equations, it is important to isolate the variable by using inverse operations. Make sure to perform the same operation on both sides of the equation to maintain balance. Also, remember to simplify the equation as much as possible before solving for the variable.

5. How can I apply algebra in real life?

Algebra has many real-life applications, such as in finance, engineering, and science. It can be used to calculate and analyze data, solve problems involving unknown quantities, and make predictions. Understanding the basics of algebra can also help with everyday tasks like budgeting or calculating discounts and sales tax.