Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Would you eat in vitro meat even if were proven to be 100% safe?

1. Jan 31, 2012 #1
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/11/11/us-science-meat-f-idUSTRE7AA30020111111

It is only a matter of time until this starts popping up in our food supply.

My opinion:

Absolutely in no way what so ever would I ever eat this or want the government to allow it in our food even if it were safe. It would only be a matter of time before the food industry lobbied billions of dollars to ban real agriculture because in vitro meat would be theoretically better for the environment and would hopefully solve a lot of the world's hunger problems. That would then pave the way for a golden road for them to control almost the entire supply of food.

It also wasn't long ago when the food industry, doctors, and the government was telling everyone that margarine was just as good as butter, but now all of the sudden many are saying it is worse for your health than the real thing.

Maybe people should realize they aren't as smart as they think and don't know more than mother nature. In vitro meat? No thanks, I'll stick to 3000 years of human experience working in agriculture over tissue engineered 'meats'.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2012 #2
    If it tastes good, sure!

4. Jan 31, 2012 #3

Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

The premise in this thread's title would seem to negate any negative answer.

Also if you are so paranoid that your food is not good for you because of government or big industry intervention then you probably shouldn't eat anything unless you grow it yourself.

I for one would welcome in vitro meats, providing they pass the relevant safety tests then the benefits are huge. By the same token would you not accept a medicine developed by tissue engineering?

5. Jan 31, 2012 #4
    They might be able to make it even tastier than real meat. no more massaging cows on beer! if its safe and has all the nutrients, then why not?

6. Jan 31, 2012 #5
    Not me. At $345,000 for a hamburger, I would go broke in a couple of years.

7. Jan 31, 2012 #6
    haven't all those 3000 years of agriculture led to this development?

8. Jan 31, 2012 #7

Ryan_m_b

9. Jan 31, 2012 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There's a LOT more to agriculture than meat, so I don't know how in vitro meat would result in all of agriculture being replaced.

If it tasted as good or better than real meat, was nutritionally equivalent or better, no worse for the environment than traditional farming of animals, reasonably priced, and adequately safety tested, sure, I'd eat it.

10. Jan 31, 2012 #9
    Or just go to my local farmer's market....

Apples to oranges. I'm pretty sure many vegetarians that refuse to eat meat would still use medications that gained approval through using tons of animal testing too. America's small family run farms that produce food more sustainably have been decimated and put out of business by big agra, so the answer now is more big agra? I should have a choice as to what type of food I can put on my plate (such as NOT consuming synthetic foods), but I don't have a choice if I were ever to need a new tissue engineered heart or eye.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  11. Jan 31, 2012 #10
    No. Commericial Ag is very new in the grand scheme of human existence. Commercial Ag are the huge polluters, not small farms that raise plants and animals like they are supposed to be raised. Livestock like cows need large amounts of antibiotics because science and commercial ag fatten cows up on factory farms with high corn diets---food cows never evolved to eat. E coli O157 didn't evolve to the widespread pathogen it is today until commercial ag started taking over cattle production and feeding cows antibiotics.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  12. Jan 31, 2012 #11

So tell me how one could exactly replicate the entire lifespan of an animal in this reductionist fairy tale land that in vitro meat scientists live in. How an animal lives its entire life has a significant impact on the flavor and texture of a meat. Pigs in Spain are fed a diet entirely of acorns and roots to produce Jamon Iberico which tastes light years different than Italian proscuitto. Everyone knows the 'gamey' flavor and texture meats that come from wild animals have vs. meat from the grocery store. Tell me exactly how science could ever recapitulate the different lifespans of every type of breed of animal we eat and not only that, copy the flavor of different breeds of animals within the same species. Good luck.

13. Jan 31, 2012 #12
    I disagree with the idea that plants and animals are "supposed" to be raised in a certain way. If you're talking about the way things evolved, then wouldn't it also be right to say that plants and animals did not evolve so that we could domesticate them?

14. Jan 31, 2012 #13
    Flavor shouldn't be a problem. They even make tofu taste like meat.

15. Jan 31, 2012 #14
    I know this is a joke. Show me the tofu that can beat or match an Argintinean or waygu steak in terms of flavor.

16. Jan 31, 2012 #15

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Um, this was your hypothetical scenario. Don't blame others if it's unrealistic.

You're misguided on the reasons for family farms closing down too. They've been disappearing for a while now. The kids in those families just don't want to stay on the farms. They leave to get an education and get other better paying jobs that don't require working their fingers to the bone 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Larger farms can afford to hire help so the owners can take vacation days. As the family farms closed, the land got sold off to developers. It's no longer available farm land. The so-called factory farms filled the gaps, producing as much food as the combined family farms lost on less land. If you want to go back to small family farms, you're going to have to convince a lot of people to sell their houses in the suburbs, tear up the roads, and rip out the lines for public utilities that have replaced those farms.

17. Jan 31, 2012 #16

russ_watters

Good luck! My uncle used to sell my grandpa's GM, pesticide protected, irrigated food at his local farmer's market!

18. Jan 31, 2012 #17

Evo

I would rather eat in vitro meat than an animal that was slaughtered. I'm looking forward to when they're available.

19. Jan 31, 2012 #18

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Happens all the time. The other misconception is that local food at the farmers market is fresher than the grocery store. Sometimes it is, but the farmer might have harvested two weeks before the market day. Or, we have some ranches that sell beef and lamb at our market. It's all frozen and they pack it in a freezer run by portable generator to keep it. I thought I'd check out the cuts from one, especially the lamb that's hard to get at the grocery store. It was so old, it looked freezer burnt, so I declined after looking at it. Other people were buying without even asking to look at it. I guess it's a good way to clean the freezer.

20. Jan 31, 2012 #19

Q_Goest

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The promise is to reduce the pain and suffering of animals. That can't be bad.

21. Jan 31, 2012 #20

Pythagorean

Gold Member

I like them live and squirming, blood dripping from my mouth, heart still beating.

At least, that's how we did it in the village. Kind of messy, really. Especially terrible idea when there's no running water nearby. Damn, I've been domesticated...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook