Wrapping my mind around vectors?

In summary: OK, so a vector has both magnitude and direction. But how do they interact? Velocity has a magnitude and direction. This is important because when two vector quantities interact with each other the direction they move is important. It is simpler than you are making it. Let's say that you have a plane flying at x mph and there is a wind directly behind it blowing at y mph. The wind will add to the planes speed. If the wind is blowing directly toward the plane it will subtract from its speed. If the wind is blowing at an angle toward the plane it will push the plane in the direction of the angle. The direction involved in vectors is just an easy way of taking all of this into
lrl4565
So, I'm assuming that scalars are what I'm used to working with in math. You add, subtract, multiply, etc.; they follow the rules I know. 1 + 1 = 2.

Scalar = Magnitude

Vector = Magnitude and Direction

Now, how do magnitude and direction coexist? Right now I'm just seeing some scalar volume cube being moved in a certain direction. What is the vector DOING? Can you provide me with a solid example of vectors at work?A vector measures displacement... the distance from start to ending point. So how can they have arrows indicating their direction? They must be finite, but they look like rays.

It doesn't matter where you put a vector on cartesian or polar coordinates... but then we're supposed to calculate the vector using scalar components. If Vector C is 5 long, how can the square root of (really big number A squared) + (really big number B squared) equal really small number 5?

In addition, what ARE vectors? I mean, why are we taking the displacement instead of the distance, and adding some angle?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can scalars be negative?

Or are they the absolute value?

Distance (scalar) is always positive, but temperature (scalar) is more confusing... would -30 degrees just be... 30 degrees?

Yes they can be negative. Think of charge density for instance.

Alright... vectors deal with things where location matters.

Can you give me an example of how a vector would be useful? How magnitude and direction can coexist?

They can be.For Example Work Can be Negative.

lrl4565 said:
Alright... vectors deal with things where location matters.

Can you give me an example of how a vector would be useful? How magnitude and direction can coexist?

Velocity.

Something that is moving, is moving at a certain speed, in a certain direction.

If an airplane is flying in the air, it has a velocity, say, 600 km/h in a direction north-east.

That's a vector: the magnitude is 600 km/h and the direction is north-east.

BTW, I merged this with your other thread, as I think both questions are related.

Scalar = magnitude. So can magnitude be negative?

lrl4565 said:
Scalar = magnitude. So can magnitude be negative?

No, scalar is not ALWAYS a magnitude. A magnitude is a scalar, however.

So, my main goal in asking these questions is to determine WHAT a vector is, why they exist, and how they differ from scalars.

What I have so far:

The purpose of vectors is to make it simpler to deal with "things" that have both a distance and a location... so velocity HAS to have a location? Wow, it really is not at all like speed.

OK, why do I want to know it's location?

Let's see... we put the vectors onto coordinate systems, like the cartesian coordinates. And we use scalars to plot things on the cartesian coordinates, so we break down the vector into components in order to plot it on the cartesian coordinate system.

Does this mean that the cartesian coordinate system is made up of scalars?

So, magnitude is the absolute value of the displacement?

Err, wait, scalar = distance

lrl4565 said:
So, my main goal in asking these questions is to determine WHAT a vector is, why they exist, and how they differ from scalars.

What I have so far:

The purpose of vectors is to make it simpler to deal with "things" that have both a distance and a location... so velocity HAS to have a location? Wow, it really is not at all like speed.

OK, why do I want to know it's location?

Let's see... we put the vectors onto coordinate systems, like the cartesian coordinates. And we use scalars to plot things on the cartesian coordinates, so we break down the vector into components in order to plot it on the cartesian coordinate system.

Does this mean that the cartesian coordinate system is made up of scalars?

Velocity has a magnitude and direction. This is important because when two vector quantities interact with each other the direction they move is important. It is simpler than you are making it. Let's say that you have a plane flying at x mph and there is a wind directly behind it blowing at y mph. The wind will add to the planes speed. If the wind is blowing directly toward the plane it will subtract from its speed. If the wind is blowing at an angle toward the plane it will push the plane in the direction of the angle. The direction involved in vectors is just an easy way of taking all of this into account when you are solving this problem of how the wind and plane will interact.

1. What are vectors?

Vectors are mathematical objects that have both magnitude and direction. They are often represented as arrows in a coordinate system and used to describe physical quantities such as velocity and force.

2. What is the difference between a vector and a scalar?

A scalar is a quantity that only has magnitude, while a vector has both magnitude and direction. For example, temperature is a scalar quantity, but velocity is a vector quantity.

3. How are vectors represented mathematically?

Vectors are typically represented using coordinates in a coordinate system. In two-dimensional space, a vector can be represented as (x,y) where x is the horizontal component and y is the vertical component. In three-dimensional space, a vector can be represented as (x,y,z).

4. How are vectors added and subtracted?

Vectors can be added and subtracted using the parallelogram law. This involves placing the tail of one vector at the head of the other vector and drawing a parallelogram. The resulting diagonal of the parallelogram is the sum or difference of the two vectors.

5. How are vectors used in physics and engineering?

Vectors are used to describe physical quantities such as velocity, acceleration, force, and displacement in both physics and engineering. They are also used in vector calculus to solve problems in these fields.