1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Write a closed form expression for the approximation y(nC)

1. Apr 16, 2012 #1
    [tex]y(4C) ≈ 7.3 + C + \frac{C}{3^{10C}} + \frac{C}{3^{20C}} + \frac{C}{3^{30C}}[/tex]

Would:

[tex]y(nC) ≈ 7.3 + C\sum_{n = 0}^{\infty}{\frac{1}{3^{10Cn}}}[/tex]

Be an acceptable answer? If not, what am I doing wrong here?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2012 #2
    Any help?

4. Apr 16, 2012 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The sum part is a geometric series r^n where r=1/(3^(10C).

5. Apr 16, 2012 #4
    Oh, ok. So should I be relating this to [tex]a\frac{1-r^n}{1-r}[/tex]
    In particular, will my solution look something like:

[tex]y(nC) ≈ 7.3 + C\frac{1-{\frac{1}{3^{10C}}}^n}{1-\frac{1}{3^{10C}}}[/tex]
    ?

6. Apr 16, 2012 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Depends. What are you really trying to do here? Why are you writing approximately equal to? (1+r+r^2+...+r^n) is actually (1-r^(n+1))/(1-r).

7. Apr 16, 2012 #6
    Well, because y(nC) is an approximation of some function, I assume. I just realized that there should have been a "..." in the initial y(4C).

8. Apr 16, 2012 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Now why would you do that? Then the first sum is the same as second sum. You can sum a geometric series like that exactly. As you've basically already said. If n is large and r=1/(3^(10C) is small you can approximate it by the infinite sum. I don't see any other role for 'approximately equal' here.

9. Apr 17, 2012 #8
    I just assumed that I couldn't use the sigma notation since they specified a "closed form expression." But, then again, I'm not entirely what that means.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook