Unravelling Mysteries of the Universe: Researching for a Book

In summary, the conversation covers topics such as the amount of energy in the universe, the relationship between evolution and physics, the randomness of the universe, the influence of consciousness on matter, and a video recommendation. The conversation also includes apologies for any grammatical errors and a request for the expert's opinion.
thevisi0nary
Okay so like stated I am doing research to eventually write a book, i have some questions that I am having a hard time finding exact answer for on google, so i figured id come here to ask.

1. Is there a set amount of energy in the universe? Meaning energy cannot be created (or destroyed)? If that's the case, how is it possible that the universe can develop and create new variations if its working on a limited resource. If energy can't be created, then there is no end or death of the universe so it will continue to grow and expand forever, but how can it do that if there is no new energy.

2. How does evolution apply to physics and space, i know evolution is without a doubt proven in biology but i want to know more about how it applies to physics.

3. How can the universe be totally random? I am not sure if everyone in physics shares this but someone told me its accepted in most of science that all reactions are random and deterministic but how can that be possible if there is any organization at all. In a mathematical sense if the odds are truly 100% random than there is just as much chance of failure as there is success but its clear that in biology natural selection contradicts that idea when a species adapts to new environments. If the mutations leading to a species change was totally random there would be no possibility of it being deterministic in any way at all, but its without a doubt evident.

4. what do physics say about consciousness and its influence on matter.

5. what is your opinion on this.
(cant post a link, please look up the video "the colors of infinity")

I really appreciate all responses, if i speak in a way that's grammatically incorrect i apologize I am just trying to learn as much about these topics as possible.

Physics news on Phys.org

Okay so stop relatin quantum physics and biology because i don't know anthing about later

cells are nearly 6000000000 times large(or even larger) than electron on which uncertainity principle is applicable significantly and as the size increase the uncertainity become less dominant and is negligible in bio

thirdly phy has no prob with evolution and to your energy part not just energy cannot be created but it cannot also be destroyed the old energy IS the new energy and you use it again , but we use gibbs free energy which is used to do work then some part goes to entropy which drives the direction of event and then it is unusable but we have lots of free energy not from nuclear fusion in sun so not problem there

Sorry if I sounded rude but i have to leave and can't answers you now
bye

thevisi0nary said:
1. Is there a set amount of energy in the universe? Meaning energy cannot be created (or destroyed)?
As far as is known.
Expanding forever does not necessarily require infinite energy. In principle, if you throw an object fast enough away from the sun it will go on forever, never falling back to the sun.
The "death" of the universe is more to do with entropy (chaos). Over time, more and more of the energy takes the form of heat. When all energy is heat, and it's the same temperature everywhere, no further work can be done. This is known as the "heat death of the universe."
2. How does evolution apply to physics and space
Let's be clear: evolution just means things changing into new forms over time. You may be referring to the biological theory which is "evolution of species/organisms by natural selection". It's natural selection part that forms the theory. That theory requires a mechanism of inheritance. Such has been suggested for "baby universes", but I can't think of other examples in physics.
3. How can the universe be totally random?
It isn't. For us to exist, the universe must have started in a remarkably ordered state. See e.g. Prof Roger Penrose's books. A totally random state would be pretty close to the heat death state.
someone told me ... that all reactions are random and deterministic
Random and deterministic?
If the mutations leading to a species change was totally random there would be no possibility of it being deterministic in any way at all, but its without a doubt evident.
Well, it's not deterministic, but it can be advantageous.
Darwin's theory employs random mutation with a selection process to pick out the advantageous changes and assumes an inheritance mechanism to keep them.
4. what do physics say about consciousness and its influence on matter.
Physics says that matter can only be influenced by physical processes. If consciousness influences matter (which I think we can agree) then consciousness is a physical process. (I've always doubted Descartes actually believed his duality idea. In his time, it was a politically useful argument.)

1. How do scientists research and gather information about the mysteries of the universe?

Scientists use a variety of methods to research and gather information about the mysteries of the universe. These can include observations from telescopes and other scientific instruments, conducting experiments in laboratories, and analyzing data from space probes and satellites. They also use mathematical models and theories to make predictions and test their hypotheses.

2. What are some of the biggest mysteries of the universe that scientists are currently researching?

Some of the biggest mysteries of the universe that scientists are currently researching include dark matter and dark energy, the origins of the universe, the nature of black holes, and the possibility of other intelligent life in the universe.

3. How do scientists ensure the accuracy and validity of their research on the mysteries of the universe?

Scientists use the scientific method to ensure the accuracy and validity of their research on the mysteries of the universe. This involves making observations, forming hypotheses, conducting experiments, and analyzing data to draw conclusions. They also undergo peer review, where other scientists in the field critically evaluate their research before it is published.

4. Why is it important to continue researching and unraveling the mysteries of the universe?

Continuing to research and unravel the mysteries of the universe is important because it allows us to gain a deeper understanding of our place in the universe and how it functions. It also leads to advancements in technology and innovation, and can even provide answers to some of the biggest questions about our existence.

5. How can the general public get involved in the research on the mysteries of the universe?

There are many ways for the general public to get involved in the research on the mysteries of the universe. Some options include participating in citizen science projects, attending public lectures and events, and staying informed about new discoveries through popular science media and social media. Additionally, supporting and advocating for science education and funding can also contribute to the advancement of research on the mysteries of the universe.