Writing a function as a function of another function

In summary: But it's not enough to say it's differentiable. You need to prove it's differentiable, somehow.The change of co-ordinates is expected to be a bijection, i.e. it's supposed to be one-to-one and onto. So the inverse should exist. And it should be continuous. That's all I can think of.In summary, the function ##f(x,y)=\frac{cosx-cosy}{x-y}## can be expressed as ##f(t,u)=-sinu*\phi(t)## where ##\phi(t)=\frac{sint}{t}## if ##t \neq 0## and ##\phi(t)=1## if ##t
Felafel

Homework Statement

Let ##\phi## be defined as follows:
##\phi(t)=\frac{sint}{t}## if ##t \neq 0##
##\phi(t)=1## if ##t = 0##
prove it's derivable on ##\mathbb{R}##
now let f be:
##f(x,y)=\frac{cosx-cosy}{x-y}## if ##x \neq y##
##f(x,y)=-sinx ## in any other case
express f as a function of ##\phi## and show f is differentiable in ##\mathbb{R}^2##

The Attempt at a Solution

i had no problems in showing ##\phi## is derivable, but i have some problems in the second part.
i thought to do a composition of functions:

##f(\phi(t),y)=\frac{cos*(\frac{sint}{t})-cosy}{sint-y}## if ##sin(t) \neq y##
##f(\phi(t),y)=-sin*sint## in any other case
which would clearly be differentiable.
still I'm not sure this is the right way of reasoning.
am i wrong?
thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your attempted solution doesn't make much sense. You need to show f is differentiable wrt (x,y). How do you reason that it is 'clearly differentiable'?
I suggest instead doing a change of co-ordinates, including t = x-y. That makes the denominator for f look like that for ϕ.

let me see if I've understood. i should rewrite:

##f(t+y, x-t)=\frac{cos(t+y)-cos(x-t)}{t}## if ##t \neq 0##
##f(t+y, x-t)=-sin(t+y)## if ##t=0## ##\Rightarrow## ##f(t+y, x-t)=-siny##
and then study the differentiability for t=0, which is the only "critical point", as sin and cos are differentiable on all R^2??

Felafel said:
##f(t+y, x-t)=\frac{cos(t+y)-cos(x-t)}{t}##
I don't understand how you got that.
What I meant was more like t = x-y, u = x+y. Replace all x and y with t and u.

hint:recall from trigonometry that
$$\frac{\cos(x)-\cos(y)}{x-y}=-\sin \left( \frac{x+y}{2} \right) \frac{ \sin \left( \frac{x-y}{2} \right) }{\frac{x-y}{2}}$$

like:

x+y=2u
x-y=2t
and using the formula lurflurf suggested:
##f(t,u)=-sinu \frac{sint}{t}## if ##(t,u) \neq (0,1)## ##\rightarrow ## ##f(t,u)=-sinu*\phi(t)##
? i'm afraid i don't really understand the logic and the text of the problem, I'm just going for random attempts.
could you please make it more clear to me? maybe with an example of another similar exercise.. we weren't shown how to solve this kind of problems in class :/

Felafel said:
like:

x+y=2u
x-y=2t
and using the formula lurflurf suggested:
##f(t,u)=-sinu \frac{sint}{t}## if ##(t,u) \neq (0,1)## ##\rightarrow ## ##f(t,u)=-sinu*\phi(t)##
?

That's the idea, except the condition should just be t ≠ 0 (corresponding to x ≠ y).
You already know ϕ(t) and sin(u) are continuous as functions of one variable. A function of one variable can be trivially extended to a function of two, e.g. g(t, u) = sin(u), and that would obviously be continuous. So f is the product of two continuous functions. I guess something needs to be said about the change of co-ordinates also being continuous.

ok, I've tried to complete it:

##x+y=2u ; x-y=2t## ##\Rightarrow##
##f(u,t)=-sinu*\phi(t)## if ##t \neq 0##
##f(u,t)=-sin(u)## if ##t=0##
##\lim_{t \to 0} f(u,t)=-sin(u)## which equals f(u,t) if t=0.
Thus the function is continuous for t=0.
Also, it is overall differentiable, because it is a composition of derivable functions.

Should I add anything more?
thanks again :)

The point of introducing phi was to remove the piecewise definition

$$\mathrm{f}(u,t)=-\sin(u) \, \phi (t)$$

now to prove f is differentiable you probably have some rules you can use like the sum, product and composition of differentiable functions are differentiable.

lurflurf said:
The point of introducing phi was to remove the piecewise definition
Good point. The 'piecewiseness' is wrapped up inside phi.

1. How do I write a function as a function of another function?

To write a function as a function of another function, you can use the notation "f(g(x))" where "f" is the outer function and "g" is the inner function. The output of "g(x)" will be used as the input for "f".

2. What is the purpose of writing a function as a function of another function?

Writing a function as a function of another function allows you to combine multiple functions and use the output of one as the input for another. This can help simplify complex functions and make them more manageable.

3. Can I use any two functions to write a function as a function of another function?

Yes, you can use any two functions to write a function as a function of another function. However, it is important to ensure that the output of the inner function is compatible with the input of the outer function.

4. How do I determine the domain and range of a function written as a function of another function?

The domain and range of a function written as a function of another function can be determined by considering the domain and range of each individual function. The domain of the outer function will be the input values that are compatible with the inner function's output, and the range will be the output values of the inner function. The overall domain and range will be the intersection of these two sets.

5. Are there any limitations to writing a function as a function of another function?

One limitation of writing a function as a function of another function is that the inner function must have an output that is compatible with the input of the outer function. Additionally, not all functions can be written as a function of another function, as the composition of some functions may not result in a valid mathematical expression.