Writing a matrix as sum of a constant * matrix

In summary, the conversation discusses how to determine if there are values for x and y that make the equation A = xB + yC true, and how to find those values if they exist. It is suggested to solve the system of equations generated by the matrices A, B, and C to determine the values of x and y. It is also mentioned that while this method may be time-consuming for larger matrices, there is no more efficient method currently known. The conversation also touches on the idea that not all equations with matrices have solutions, and the solution of the system of equations can indicate the existence of values for x and y that make the original equation true.
2slowtogofast
Ok I need some help on how I can approach a problem like this.

Say that A B and C are matircies and I know the values of each of them.

And let x and y be constants (ie: 7 or 2 or somthing like that)

What I want to know is can you write

A = xB + yC

How would you check to see if there are an x and y that can make that equation true and if there is how can you find it. I think if B and C are in the span of A then yes there is an x and y but that doest tell me how to find them.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can check if there are [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex] that make the equation true by solving the system of equations generated by matrices.

Let matrix A be [itex]A=\left| \begin{array}{cc} a_{11} & a_{12} \\ a_{21} & a_{22} \end{array} \right|[/itex], and B [itex]B=\left| \begin{array}{cc} b_{11} & b_{12} \\ b_{21} & b_{22} \end{array} \right|[/itex]. Matrix C will be [itex]C=\left| \begin{array}{cc} c_{11} & c_{12} \\ c_{21} & c_{22} \end{array} \right|[/itex].

You get the system of equations to solve for [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex] with the following expression:

[itex]\left| \begin{array}{cc} a_{11} & a_{12} \\ a_{21} & a_{22} \end{array} \right|[/itex] [itex]-[/itex] [itex]x \left| \begin{array}{cc} b_{11} & b_{12} \\ b_{21} & b_{22} \end{array} \right|[/itex] [itex]-[/itex] [itex]y \left| \begin{array}{cc} c_{11} & c_{12} \\ c_{21} & c_{22} \end{array} \right|[/itex] [itex]=[/itex] [itex]\left| \begin{array}{cc} 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 \end{array} \right|[/itex].

I was thinking of that as well the only problem is what if A B and C are 10 x 10 it would work but it is a lot of work. Is there a more effcient method.

Well, you need just a few equations to solve the system, so it doesn't matter if a matrix is 10 x 10. It wouldn't take too long. As far as I know, there is no more efficient method. Today, if we want to deal with 100 x 100 matrices, we use computers. That's why we've made them in the first place. :-)

in your first post how would you expand that to a system of 2 eqns and 2 unkwns. The 2x2 constant matrix is what is screwing me up

You don't expand an equation with two by two matrices into a system of two equations. An equation involving two by two matrices is equivalent to a system of four equations, one for each of the four entries in the matrices. In general, you cannot solve an equation like "A= xB+ yC" for number x and y given matrices A, B, and C unless A, B, and C are carefully chosen, just as you cannot solve four equations in two unknowns unless the equations are "dependent". In general, there simply do NOT exist such numbers.

Isn't the solution of the system we get an indicator of the existence of those numbers? If the system has a solution, such [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex] exist. Otherwise, they don't.

1. What does it mean to write a matrix as a sum of a constant multiplied by another matrix?

Writing a matrix as a sum of a constant multiplied by another matrix means to express a matrix as the sum of multiple matrices, each of which has been multiplied by a constant. This is often used in matrix operations to simplify calculations and make them more efficient.

2. How do I write a matrix as a sum of a constant multiplied by another matrix?

To write a matrix as a sum of a constant multiplied by another matrix, you will need to first identify the constant and the matrices involved. Then, you can use the distributive property to multiply the constant by each element of the matrix, and combine the resulting matrices into a single matrix using addition.

3. Can any matrix be written as a sum of a constant multiplied by another matrix?

Yes, any matrix can be written as a sum of a constant multiplied by another matrix. This is because the distributive property holds for matrix multiplication, allowing us to factor out a constant from each element of a matrix.

4. Why is it useful to write a matrix as a sum of a constant multiplied by another matrix?

Writing a matrix as a sum of a constant multiplied by another matrix can make calculations involving matrices more efficient and easier to understand. It also allows us to perform operations on matrices in a more streamlined way, making it a useful tool in various scientific and mathematical fields.

5. Are there any limitations to writing a matrix as a sum of a constant multiplied by another matrix?

One limitation is that not all matrices can be written as a sum of a constant multiplied by another matrix. For example, a matrix with complex numbers or non-numeric elements cannot be simplified in this way. Additionally, the constant and matrices involved must be compatible in terms of dimensions for the operation to be possible.