Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Writing a story about a college math student

1. Jan 14, 2009 #1
    Hello, everyone:

I have a bit of a strange question, but I am a writer and I'm writing a story about a college math student. What I'm in need of is an example of a question in Differential Geometry involving a "Submersion" (preferably a word problem), the process, and the solution.

The math question will come to parallel the events in the main character's life.

If anyone can give me an example of a question, process, and solution, it would be warmly appreciated. Please feel free to post on here, or e-mail me at jared.shipley@hotmail.com.

Thanks, everyone!
    Jared S.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2009 #2
    Re: Submersion

Does anyone have any suggestions for this?
  4. Jan 19, 2009 #3

5. Jan 20, 2009 #4

Let (M,g) be a Riemannian manifold, N be a manifold, and p:M->N a surjective submersion. Suppose also that there exists a lie group G acting transitively on the fibers of p, with p(g*x) = p(x) for all g in G, x in M. Show that there exists a unique metric h on N such that p is a Riemannian submersion.
  6. Jan 20, 2009 #5

This will be great! Thank you so much! I appreciate it!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?