Is it better to use direct quotes or paraphrase when citing sources in a thesis?

In summary, CrazyJimbo thinks that it's a good idea to cite the source material when quoting text verbatim, but that it's still ok to paraphrase the words.
cks
I'm in the final year of my undergraduate studies and now I'm writing my final year report.

In my thesis, there're certain things I need to mention and I find that I lack of words to describe the phenomena. However, I find there's a certain paragraph in a book that describe very well. I intend to copy the words about 80-90 words and put it in my thesis. I'll cite the origin of the words from this book. But, I'm not sure, in writing a thesis, is it a good idea to copy the words exactly from the book?

Let's say there're a few sentences that I copy, I need to put the citation after the last sentence? or in every sentence, I need to put the citation from the same book.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to make it very clear that you are quoting the text verbatim. If it is a sizeable passage it's probably best to use a block quote (http://www.englishdiscourse.org/block.quotes.htm ) with the citation either at the end of the quote or in the text leading up to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with CrazyJimbo. If you quote text verbatim, you need to make it obvious that it's a direct quote.

I see. Thank you for your information.

So, if I don't want to make a direct quote, is it still ok to paraphrase the words and cite it afterward ?

You need to be clear enough about what comes from the book and what is your take on it that you can't be accused of plagiarism. If you are worried that your wording is still too close to the authors, maybe say something like:

To paraphrase T. Author (2009), this idea can be explained by...

cks said:
So, if I don't want to make a direct quote, is it still ok to paraphrase the words and cite it afterward ?

Yes, but you'll be much safer just using a direct quote. Apart from having to clearly delineate where your reference's ideas stop and yours begin (something that happens automatically with a direct quote), you have to make sure you don't misinterpret the reference, even in subtle ways.

1. What is a thesis and why is it important?

A thesis is a document that presents the author's research and findings on a particular topic. It is important because it demonstrates the author's understanding of the subject matter and their ability to critically analyze and synthesize information.

2. How do I choose a topic for my thesis?

Choosing a topic for your thesis can be a daunting task. Start by brainstorming ideas and narrowing down your interests. Consider the relevance and significance of the topic, as well as the availability of resources and your own expertise in the subject.

3. What is the proper format for citing sources in a thesis?

The most commonly used citation style in scientific writing is the American Psychological Association (APA) style. It includes in-text citations and a reference list at the end of the document. Other citation styles include MLA, Chicago, and Harvard.

4. How do I avoid plagiarism in my thesis?

Plagiarism is a serious offense in academic writing. To avoid it, make sure to properly cite all sources used in your thesis. Use quotation marks for direct quotes and paraphrase information in your own words. Also, always double check your references to ensure they are accurate and complete.

5. How can I effectively organize and structure my thesis?

A well-organized and structured thesis is crucial for conveying your ideas and arguments clearly. Start by creating an outline and breaking your thesis into chapters and sections. Use headings and subheadings to guide the reader. Also, make sure to follow any specific guidelines provided by your institution or advisor.