Writing Open Intervals as Closed Intervals (-inf,f]

In summary, the conversation discusses how to write an open interval (a,b) as a combination of closed intervals of the form [c,d] and vice versa. It is mentioned that closed intervals can also be half closed, such as (-inf, f], with 'f' being rational. The possibility of writing (-inf, a] as a union of closed sets is also discussed, with the conclusion that it is not open, but rather closed as it is the complement of an open set. The conversation also mentions the possibility of writing (a,b) as a finite combination of closed sets, but it is noted that this is not possible as any finite union or intersection of closed sets is closed. Instead, an infinite sequence, such as
gradnu
Can anybody suggest how to write an open interval (a,b) as a combination(union, intersection and compliment) of closed intervals of the form [c,d] and vice versa.
What if closed intervals are half closed as following (-inf, f]. 'f' being rational.

Physics news on Phys.org
What about something like

[tex](a, b)^C = (-\infty, a] \cup [b, \infty) [/tex]

Probably you mean not a finite combination, but the union of an infinite sequence, like
[tex](a,b) = [a+1,b-1] \cup [a-0.5,b+0.5] \cup\dots[/tex]

I think both of them are right. I was initially confused whether to consider (-inf,a] as closed set or not.
Thanks.

It's not, and it's not open either. But I kind of hoped you would see how to write (-inf, a] as a union of closed sets. And I don't think a finite combination is possible, since any finite union or intersection of closed sets is closed, right?

tsirel said:
Probably you mean not a finite combination, but the union of an infinite sequence, like
[tex](a,b) = [a+1,b-1] \cup [a-0.5,b+0.5] \cup\dots[/tex]

Intersection, not union here. Assuming the first one on the right side was supposed to be [a-1,b+1] then this union is equal to [a-1,b+1].

CompuChip said:
It's not, and it's not open either. But I kind of hoped you would see how to write (-inf, a] as a union of closed sets. And I don't think a finite combination is possible, since any finite union or intersection of closed sets is closed, right?

It should be closed, as it is the complement of an open set (a, inf) which is open.

1. What is the difference between open and closed intervals?

An open interval is defined as a set of numbers that includes all the values between two given numbers, but does not include the endpoints. In contrast, a closed interval includes the endpoints as well.

2. Why are open intervals typically written as (a,b) and closed intervals as [a,b]?

The notation for open and closed intervals was established to clearly distinguish between the two types of intervals. The use of parentheses for open intervals indicates that the endpoints are not included, while the use of brackets for closed intervals indicates that the endpoints are included.

3. How do you determine if an interval is open or closed?

To determine if an interval is open or closed, you must look at the notation used to represent the interval. If the interval is written as (a,b), it is open. If it is written as [a,b], it is closed.

4. Can open intervals be converted to closed intervals, and vice versa?

Yes, it is possible to convert open intervals to closed intervals and vice versa. This is done by changing the notation used to represent the interval. For example, the open interval (a,b) can be converted to a closed interval by changing it to [a,b]. Similarly, the closed interval [a,b] can be converted to an open interval by changing it to (a,b).

5. How are open intervals and closed intervals used in mathematics?

Open and closed intervals are commonly used in mathematics to represent ranges of values. They are often used in calculus to denote the domain of a function or to represent a solution set. They are also used in set theory and are an important concept in understanding the continuity of functions.