Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Writing papers

1. Aug 10, 2007 #1
    I revisited some calculations and interpretation from my PhD work and I want to publish it.
    I do not know how to proceed to be ethic.
    Should I write the name of my adviser there or not?
    He is not involved in any change of my interpretation and also i was writing there the work is based on my revisited results from my PhD work.
    Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2007 #2

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Why don't you write it up then send a draft to your advisor and ask if they should be listed as a co-author??? You will hear one of three answers, yes, list me, no don't or don't bother to publish this. I suspect you'll hear one of the first two and more than likely the first one.

4. Aug 11, 2007 #3
    I am sure if good for him to have one more paper too.
    but I just want to be on my own not to ask him like in previous time when i was his PhD.
    I want to be on my own and also ethic.
    And the work I revised based on my latest experience, so it is out from what I was working on my PhD.

5. Aug 11, 2007 #4

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you did the work without any input from your advisor, then go ahead and publish it. At least send him/her a preprint.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook