1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Writing papers

1. Aug 10, 2007 #1
    I revisited some calculations and interpretation from my PhD work and I want to publish it.
    I do not know how to proceed to be ethic.
    Should I write the name of my adviser there or not?
    He is not involved in any change of my interpretation and also i was writing there the work is based on my revisited results from my PhD work.
    Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2007 #2

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Why don't you write it up then send a draft to your advisor and ask if they should be listed as a co-author??? You will hear one of three answers, yes, list me, no don't or don't bother to publish this. I suspect you'll hear one of the first two and more than likely the first one.

4. Aug 11, 2007 #3
    I am sure if good for him to have one more paper too.
    but I just want to be on my own not to ask him like in previous time when i was his PhD.
    I want to be on my own and also ethic.
    And the work I revised based on my latest experience, so it is out from what I was working on my PhD.

5. Aug 11, 2007 #4

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you did the work without any input from your advisor, then go ahead and publish it. At least send him/her a preprint.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?