Revisiting PhD Work: Ethical Considerations for Publication

In summary, the speaker is revisiting their PhD work and wants to publish it. They are unsure about including their advisor's name as a co-author and want to be ethical. They plan to send a draft to their advisor and ask for their input, hoping for either a yes or no answer. The speaker wants to be independent in their work and has revised it based on their own experience. The advisor may be included as a co-author or at least sent a preprint.
Oxygenne
I revisited some calculations and interpretation from my PhD work and I want to publish it.
I do not know how to proceed to be ethic.
Should I write the name of my adviser there or not?
He is not involved in any change of my interpretation and also i was writing there the work is based on my revisited results from my PhD work.
Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you write it up then send a draft to your advisor and ask if they should be listed as a co-author? You will hear one of three answers, yes, list me, no don't or don't bother to publish this. I suspect you'll hear one of the first two and more than likely the first one.

I am sure if good for him to have one more paper too.
but I just want to be on my own not to ask him like in previous time when i was his PhD.
I want to be on my own and also ethic.
And the work I revised based on my latest experience, so it is out from what I was working on my PhD.

If you did the work without any input from your advisor, then go ahead and publish it. At least send him/her a preprint.

1. What are the ethical considerations for publishing PhD work?

The main ethical considerations for publishing PhD work include obtaining consent from participants, ensuring confidentiality and anonymity, avoiding plagiarism, and being transparent about conflicts of interest.

2. Do I need to obtain consent from participants before publishing my PhD work?

Yes, it is important to obtain consent from participants before publishing any research that involves human subjects. This includes obtaining informed consent from participants and ensuring that their privacy and confidentiality are protected.

3. How do I ensure confidentiality and anonymity when publishing my PhD work?

To ensure confidentiality and anonymity, it is important to remove any identifying information from the research, such as names or specific details. It is also important to use pseudonyms or code names for participants to protect their identities.

4. What should I do if my PhD work includes information from previous publications?

If your PhD work includes information from previous publications, it is important to properly cite and credit those sources. Plagiarism is a serious ethical violation and could result in consequences for your work.

5. How do I address conflicts of interest when publishing my PhD work?

If you have any conflicts of interest, it is important to be transparent and disclose them in your publication. This could include any financial relationships, personal relationships, or other factors that could potentially bias your research.