X^2/2 is an antiderivative of x

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of antiderivatives and whether a function can be considered an antiderivative if it contains both x and y variables. It is concluded that while x^2/2 is an antiderivative of x, x^2/2 + y cannot be considered an antiderivative since the variables are not treated equally and other functions such as xy may also be considered antiderivatives.
LucasGB
x^2/2 is an antiderivative of x, for the derivative of x^2/2 with respect to x is x. Formally speaking, can I consider x^2/2 + y, where y is a variable and not a constant, to be an antiderivative of x, since the partial derivative of x^2/2 + y with respect to x equals x?

Physics news on Phys.org

When dealing with a differentiable function f(x,y), if fx = x then f(x,y) = x2/2 + g(y), where g is a function of y. An easy application of this kind of anti-differentiation is solving Exact Differential Equations. I don't know, that's my two cents worth.

Sure, why not? Also, why do you ask?

For no special reason. I'm just trying to understand if one can formally define an antiderivative of f(x) to be any function F(x,y,...,n) whose derivative with respect to x is f(x), or if an antiderivative is specifically those functions F(x) whose derivative w.r.t x is f(x).

Strictly speaking, no. Because the function f(x) = x and f(x,y) = x are fundamentally different. Notice that the derivative of the first is also a function of the same type, while in the second is given by a matrix.
If you consider x2/2 + y to be an antiderivative of x, then the variables x and y must be considered in equal footing, so why prefer the partial derivative relative to x? You must also admit xy as an antiderivative to x.

What is an antiderivative?

An antiderivative is the opposite of a derivative. It is a function that, when differentiated, produces the original function. In other words, if f(x) is a function, then F(x) is its antiderivative if F'(x) = f(x).

What does X^2/2 mean?

X^2/2 is a mathematical expression that represents half of the square of x. This is equivalent to (x^2)/2 or x^2 ÷ 2.

Why is X^2/2 an antiderivative of x?

X^2/2 is an antiderivative of x because when we take the derivative of X^2/2, we get x. This is because the derivative of x^2 is 2x, and dividing by 2 gives us x as the result.

Is X^2/2 the only antiderivative of x?

No, X^2/2 is not the only antiderivative of x. Since the derivative of a constant is always 0, any function of the form X^2/2 + c, where c is a constant, is also an antiderivative of x.

How do we use X^2/2 as an antiderivative of x?

We can use X^2/2 as an antiderivative of x to evaluate definite integrals involving x. We can also use it to find other antiderivatives of functions that contain x as a variable. It is an essential tool in calculus for solving many mathematical problems.