Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I X-ray emission from a klystron tube

1. Aug 27, 2016 #1
    So, I was thinking about building a low power klystron (around 5W.) I know this involves making an electron gun and electron guns can emit x-rays. I have a few questions:
    1. Will 5W produce x-rays?
    2. If so, what is a safe dosage of x-rays?
    3. How can I shield myself and others from the x-rays produced?

The x-rays are an unwanted side effect.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2016 #2
    The operating voltages of a klystron are too low to cause X-rays.
    To build any sort of electron tube is extremely difficult, and a klystron would be impossible for you to make. Even good commercial ones are touchy to get going.

4. Aug 27, 2016 #3

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

This is not true. Klystrons are RF sources for accelerating structures in particle accelerators. If you look at any of them at such a facility, they are heavily shielded.

That, I can definitely agree on.

Zz.

5. Aug 27, 2016 #4
    Of course, klystrons come in all sizes. But for instance, the very old 723A/B reflex klystron, which gives a watt or two of RF, uses ordinary receiver type power supplies, less than 1 kV and no X-Ray precautions were ever required.

6. Aug 27, 2016 #5

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I didn't say they aren't. But your statement made it sounds like klystrons physically are too low-powered to produce harmful radiation. This is false.

Zz.

7. Aug 27, 2016 #6
    Actually the voltages are rather lower than my memory was telling me - data sheet at this URL.
    http://www.r-type.org/exhib/aaa0592.htm

8. Aug 27, 2016 #7
    Thank you for telling me about high power klystrons. I do remember now that they are used for TV transmitters. But I do remember that they were not originally able to provide the high power required for airborne radar.

9. Aug 27, 2016 #8

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

If you have to ask those questions, you clearly do not have the required knowledge to build such it safely. We won't help you to harm yourself here.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook