1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Y''' + 8y = 2x - 5 + 8 e^(-2x); y(0) = -5, y'(0) = 3, y''(0) = -4

1. Feb 20, 2014 #1

s3a

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The problem:
    y''' + 8y = 2x - 5 + 8 e^(-2x); y(0) = -5, y'(0) = 3, y''(0) = -4

Correct answer:
    y = -23/12 e^(-2x) + e^x (-59/24 cos(sqrt(3) x) + 17 sqrt(3)/72 sin(sqrt(3) x)) + 1/4 x - 5/8 + 2/3 x e^(-2x)

2. Relevant equations
    Method of undetermined coefficients.

3. The attempt at a solution
    My work is attached as the TheProblemAndMyWork.pdf file. The work is typed (not handwritten), so it looks nice.

What I'm having trouble with is finding the values for c_1, c_2 and c_3. I entered the system of equations from my work into Wolfram Alpha, and the answer is wrong! I re-did this problem so many times, and I keep ending up in the same situation. I suppose, I keep making the exact same mistake.

Could someone please tell me what I am doing wrong?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2014 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

The constant term you get when you calculated f''(0) should be -8/3, not 8.

4. Feb 20, 2014 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It is a quite a bit easier if you first get rid of the x and constant terms on the right. You can do this by looking at ##z(x) = y(x) + ax + b## for some constants ##a, b##, then adjusting ##a## and ##b## until you get ##z''' + 8z = 8 e^{ -2x}##. Then the "undetermined coefficient" equations simplify down quite a lot. Of course you need to determine the initial conditions on z(t) and use them instead.

5. Feb 22, 2014 #4

s3a

Thanks guys, I get it now!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted