Y''' + 8y = 2x - 5 + 8 e^(-2x); y(0) = -5, y'(0) = 3, y''(0) = -4

  • Thread starter Thread starter s3a
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
5 replies · 9K views
s3a
Messages
828
Reaction score
8

Homework Statement


The problem:
y''' + 8y = 2x - 5 + 8 e^(-2x); y(0) = -5, y'(0) = 3, y''(0) = -4

Correct answer:
y = -23/12 e^(-2x) + e^x (-59/24 cos(sqrt(3) x) + 17 sqrt(3)/72 sin(sqrt(3) x)) + 1/4 x - 5/8 + 2/3 x e^(-2x)

Homework Equations


Method of undetermined coefficients.

The Attempt at a Solution


My work is attached as the TheProblemAndMyWork.pdf file. The work is typed (not handwritten), so it looks nice.

What I'm having trouble with is finding the values for c_1, c_2 and c_3. I entered the system of equations from my work into Wolfram Alpha, and the answer is wrong! I re-did this problem so many times, and I keep ending up in the same situation. I suppose, I keep making the exact same mistake.

Could someone please tell me what I am doing wrong?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
 
Attachments
Physics news on Phys.org
The constant term you get when you calculated f''(0) should be -8/3, not 8.
 
s3a said:

Homework Statement


The problem:
y''' + 8y = 2x - 5 + 8 e^(-2x); y(0) = -5, y'(0) = 3, y''(0) = -4

Correct answer:
y = -23/12 e^(-2x) + e^x (-59/24 cos(sqrt(3) x) + 17 sqrt(3)/72 sin(sqrt(3) x)) + 1/4 x - 5/8 + 2/3 x e^(-2x)

Homework Equations


Method of undetermined coefficients.

The Attempt at a Solution


My work is attached as the TheProblemAndMyWork.pdf file. The work is typed (not handwritten), so it looks nice.

What I'm having trouble with is finding the values for c_1, c_2 and c_3. I entered the system of equations from my work into Wolfram Alpha, and the answer is wrong! I re-did this problem so many times, and I keep ending up in the same situation. I suppose, I keep making the exact same mistake.

Could someone please tell me what I am doing wrong?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

It is a quite a bit easier if you first get rid of the x and constant terms on the right. You can do this by looking at ##z(x) = y(x) + ax + b## for some constants ##a, b##, then adjusting ##a## and ##b## until you get ##z''' + 8z = 8 e^{ -2x}##. Then the "undetermined coefficient" equations simplify down quite a lot. Of course you need to determine the initial conditions on z(t) and use them instead.
 
Could someone explain to me how the exercise found in pdf is done, please thank you.
 
That’s not how it works here. You need to show an attempt, and we can help you identify and correct your mistakes and misconceptions.

There should be plenty of examples you can see in your textbook.