1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Y value for second derivative involving e^y

1. Oct 28, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If xy + 9e^y = 9e, find the value of y'' at the point where x = 0.

2. Relevant equations
    product rule

3. The attempt at a solution
    Okay so first I found the first derivative using implicit differentiation and I got:
    [itex]y'=\frac{-y}{x+9e^{y}}[/itex]

then, I found the second derivative to be:
    [itex]y''=\frac{y(1+9e^{y}*y')}{(x+9e^{y})^{2}}-\frac{y'}{x+9e^{y}}[/itex]

the website won't let me enter y' so I substituted it into the second derivative and then set x=0 and I got:
    [itex]y''=\frac{2y-y^{2}}{9e^{2y}}[/itex]

I'm not quite sure if I'm doing this right so I'd like a second opinion. I only have one attempt left and I don't want to get it wrong!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2011 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Plug x = 0 into [itex]xy + 9e^y = 9e\,.[/itex] Then solve for y . Use that in your expression for y''.

4. Oct 29, 2011 #3

dynamicsolo

Homework Helper

Since you are asked for the value of [itex]y''(0)[/itex], you don't really need to fuss too much with an expression for [itex]y''[/itex].

First, are we agreed that y = 1 for x = 0 ? (I want to be careful, since you only have one attempt left on your computer-problem system.)

I agree with your result for [itex]y'[/itex]. So we can say that [itex]y'(0) = -\frac{1}{9e} [/itex]. Does that sound all right?

The first implicit differentiation of the original equation produced

[tex] y + xy' + 9 \cdot e^{y} \cdot y' = 0 , [/tex]

so a second implicit differentiation yields

[tex] y' + ( y' + xy'' ) + ( 9 \cdot e^{y} \cdot y' \cdot y' + 9 \cdot e^{y} \cdot y'' ) = 0 \Rightarrow 2y' + xy'' + 9 \cdot e^{y} \cdot ( y' )^{2} + 9 \cdot e^{y} \cdot y'' = 0 . [/tex]

You could now insert your results for [itex]y(0)[/itex] and [itex]y'(0)[/itex] , with x = 0 , then solve the resulting equation for [itex]y''[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook