YAGQ (Yet Another Gravity Query)

• Thread starter Phantasia
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravity
In summary, the gravity questions are: (1) Why don't we observe the aggregation of ring material due to gravity; i.e., how does one example of chaotic disruption of a system lead to a relatively even distribution and fanning of material into a classic ring object (thinking of the asteroid belt and the planetary rings), while another example quickly coalesces under gravity to form a single body (thinking of the planets themselves and the Earth impact moon formation theory)? (2) How does gravity work to keep orbiting systems stable? (3 - an easy one) If we could evacuate a perfectly spherical person-sized chamber capable of supporting life exactly in the center of the Earth
Phantasia
Okay, these are some of my gravity questions. I found this site by searching for my own answers. Feel free to point me toward physics primers and introductory math texts, if you think it will help. I'm an avid reader of popular science texts, and am not afraid of equations, but I've never had the benefit of university coursework or instruction.

(1) Why don't we observe the aggregation of ring material due to gravity; i.e., how does one example of chaotic disruption of a system lead to a relatively even distribution and fanning of material into a classic ring object (thinking of the asteroid belt and the planetary rings), while another example quickly coalesces under gravity to form a single body (thinking of the planets themselves and the Earth impact moon formation theory)? I understand that epochal time is the field here, but it seems a system will move over that time scale toward aggregation or distribution. I guess the question depends upon knowing what comprises the asteroid belt. If it was a planet that disintegrated, how did the system distribute itself rather than coalesce? If it was never a planet, and the objects are merely the result of the best aggregation possible in its place, then how did rocky material form from dust?

(2) How does gravity work to keep orbiting systems stable? Equilibrium is not something we commonly experience. When we spin a gyroscope here on earth, it spins nicely for a while and then collapses under the influence of perturbations and… gravity. Looking at the universe, however, we see all systems pulled over time into equilibrium rather than chaotically careening and colliding, which seems counter to commonsense and one of those laws of thermodynamics. The question, restated: how can gravity work to create stable orbiting systems, when even one perturbation should disrupt stable orbits to cause rapid decay, and there are innumerable perturbations on similar or larger scales (from other systems, the galactic system and the cosmological system)?

(3 - an easy one) If we could evacuate a perfectly spherical person-sized chamber capable of supporting life exactly in the center of the Earth's mass, and I were to be inside that chamber, what could be said about the effects of gravity there? Let's say that the sphere has an interior space four meters in diameter, that my height is two meters. If I curled up into a ball and was placed in the center of the sphere (and therefore the center of Earth's mass and gravity), would I float there, pulled equally in all directions? Would I experience weight if I were standing on the interior surface of the sphere, with my head roughly in the center of it? What if the sphere were 100 meters in diameter? How could I calculate these values and put them into a table?

(4) Why doesn't the expansion of space disrupt orbiting systems? If the expansion does disrupt them, then why are there any orbiting systems at all? (Thinking maybe matter, therefore mass, therefore gravity, expands with space?)

(5) Can we observe the gravitational tidal forces of our own galaxy? As Earth rotates, one side is facing the bulk of the galactic mass, so why aren't these tidal forces of our own galaxy prominently observed when the gravitational field of galaxies is strong enough to hold the cosmos together?

I understand that gravity is poorly understood, and that I'm the umpteen-millionth person to chime in with questions, but I'm just looking for clues, not the meaning of life. I also saw that multiple questions probably should be posted in multiple threads, but that will be difficult for follow-up, I think, so I give you my apologies. Thanks in advance for helpful replies.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF Phantasia. I can help you with the easy one. Gravity would cancel inside your chamber. The chamber could be any size and gravity would cancel out at any point inside the chamber (you would be weightless). See Shell Theorem. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shell_theorem

Thank you, TurtleMeister. That may help explain query 5; since we are inside the shell of the galaxy, the massive tidal forces that affect other galaxies are effectively canceled. They should still affect objects in orbit around our galaxy, such as globular clusters, though. Do you think it's possible to observe and measure galactic tidal forces on such satellites of our own galaxy? Or should this question now be moved to the cosmology section. :-)

The shell theorem only works for hollow shells, our galaxy isn't hollow. The reason there are no visible tidal forces is because the gravity from our galaxy is very weak compared to the gravity from the moon and/or sun.

This is already apparent when you compare the sun with the moon, the sun is much bigger and heavier and yet the moon causes much bigger tides since it's so much closer.

Okay, so (3) and maybe (5) have been given some clues. No one here can provide anything helpful in the direction of the others?

These are pretty hard questions, actually! But I'll try to say something about them.
1) Why don't we observe the aggregation of ring material due to gravity, rather than dispersal.
Because when two small particles collide, they tend to smash each other into even smaller bits. The bits have all that kinetic energy and no way to get rid of it. This is the normal state of affairs. Anyone who tells you that planets just naturally form out of dust clouds has got his eyes closed and his fingers crossed! The only way to get things to aggregate is to have a pretty large object to begin with. For example when a meteor hits the Earth it aggregates, because the residual particles dissipate their energy and fall back to Earth. There's a critical minimum size necessary for aggregation, after which things will continue to grow.
2) How does gravity work to keep orbiting systems stable?
Almost the same answer. You have to dissipate the initial kinetic energy somehow. There are well-known stable configurations in the solar system, such as the so-called Trojan objects at Jupiter's Lagrange points, and orbital resonances (e.g. Pluto's orbit is in a 3:2 resonance with Neptune). Basically the way these things get started is, two bodies lose part of their energy by passing it off to a third.
(4) Why doesn't the expansion of space disrupt orbiting systems?
It probably does, but only over very large distances. The expansion rate is Hubble's constant, about 75 km/sec/MPc. This could only have an effect on something as large as a galaxy cluster. Some galaxy clusters are gravitationally bound while some may be coming apart.

Why, thanks, Bill. Very kind of you to reply. I was worried that in my ignorance I had posed some ridiculously silly questions.

I appreciate your taking the time to help me find clues.

1. What is "YAGQ"?

"YAGQ" stands for "Yet Another Gravity Query". It is a scientific inquiry into the nature of gravity and its effects on objects in the universe.

2. How does "YAGQ" differ from other gravity studies?

"YAGQ" utilizes advanced technology and mathematical models to provide a more comprehensive understanding of gravity and its effects. It also takes into account recent discoveries and theories in the field of astrophysics.

3. What are the potential applications of "YAGQ"?

The findings of "YAGQ" can be applied to various fields, such as space exploration, satellite communication, and understanding the formation and behavior of celestial bodies.

4. Who is conducting "YAGQ"?

"YAGQ" is being conducted by a team of scientists and researchers from various institutions and organizations, including universities and space agencies.

5. What are the expected outcomes of "YAGQ"?

The ultimate goal of "YAGQ" is to improve our understanding of gravity and its effects, which can lead to advancements in technology and a deeper understanding of the universe we live in.