Year 12: Cambridge Physics Problem (Doppler effect of light in a box)

In summary, a cubical box with perfectly reflecting interior surfaces is initially dark inside. When a small window is opened to allow light of frequency f to enter, the box contains N photons before the window is closed again. If the volume of the box containing the photons is suddenly reduced, the pressure inside the box will increase and the temperature will also increase due to the photons colliding with each other more frequently. The relationship PV/T would remain constant in this scenario. The Doppler effect may not directly impact this situation, but understanding it may provide further insight.
johnconnor
An evacuated cubical box of side a is constructed with perfectly reflecting interior surfaces; initially, it is dark inside. A small window is opened to allow light of frequency f to enter the container and is also closed again when the box contains N photons. Suggest what might happen if the volume of the box containing the photons where suddenly reduced.

I'm guessing the pressure inside the box will increase, but to what extent is that true? I didn't learn about Doppler effect and I only have a vague idea of it, so please do give me some advice on this.

Will the temperature increase inside the box? I don't think pV=nRT is significant over here, but if we insist on taking account of it will the pV/T = constant hold?

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure how Doppler effect comes into play here. But temperature will surely increase, because since the box gets small, the photons collide with each other more often, leading to increase in temperature. You should be similarly be able to argue about the pressure.

And, you cannot use PV = nRT for this situation, but PV/T would remain constant.

Last edited:

1. What is the Doppler effect of light in a box?

The Doppler effect of light in a box refers to the change in frequency and wavelength of light when it is emitted or received from a moving object, in this case, a box. This effect is caused by the relative motion between the source of the light and the observer.

2. How does the Doppler effect of light in a box affect the color of the light?

The color of light is determined by its wavelength, which is affected by the Doppler effect. If the box is moving towards the observer, the wavelength of the light will decrease, causing the light to appear bluer. If the box is moving away from the observer, the wavelength will increase, making the light appear redder.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of the Doppler effect of light in a box?

The magnitude of the Doppler effect of light in a box is affected by the speed of the box, the speed of light, and the angle between the direction of motion of the box and the observer's line of sight.

4. How is the Doppler effect of light in a box used in real-life applications?

The Doppler effect of light in a box is used in various real-life applications, such as determining the speed and direction of celestial objects, measuring the speed of distant galaxies, and in medical imaging techniques like Doppler ultrasound.

5. How is the Doppler effect of light in a box related to the Doppler effect of sound?

The Doppler effect of light in a box and the Doppler effect of sound are both caused by the relative motion between the source of the wave and the observer. However, the Doppler effect of light is more significant in objects with high speeds, while the Doppler effect of sound is more noticeable in objects with lower speeds. Additionally, the wavelength of light is affected by the Doppler effect, while the wavelength of sound remains constant.