1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Year 12: Cambridge Physics Problem (Gas and Pressure)

1. Jun 4, 2012 #1
    Guys I'm weak in heat and kinetic theory, so I'm gonna need extra guide and pointers from you guys to solve this and the coming questions. Thank you.

Question:
    The bulb of a constant-volume gas thermometer has a volume V and is connected by a long narrow capillary tube to a manometer, where there is a dead space of volume V/4 above the liquid. The thermometer is filled with an ideal gas at pressure p0 and temperature T0.

(i) Find an expression for the sensitivity of the thermometer (rate of change of pressure with temperature) at temperature T if the manomenter remains at temperature T0.

(ii) Sketch the variation of sensitivity with temperature for the range T/K = 0 to ∞.

(iii) Show, on the same axes, sensitivity as a function of temperature for the same bulb connected to a manometer with a dead space of negligible volume (a) when filled to give the same value of p0 at T0, and (b) when filled with the same mass of gas as previously.

Attempt:

(i) This is the diagram of the apparatus which I think is like. Is it correct?
    DSC02993.jpg
    Or is it this one?
    C638A50B86140A65A0528F55C9F4C1C728D7B13A_large.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2012 #2
    It is the second diagram. The volume is kept constant by adjusting the Height of the mercury reservoir and the temperature is determined by measuring the pressure(h)

4. Jun 6, 2012 #3
    Where exactly is the dead space V/4, then? Would you mind showing me a diagram with all the information labelled? Sorry for not being able to even imagine the apparatus properly. Thanks in advance!

5. Jun 14, 2012 #4
    Can anyone please help me with starting the question? Thank you very much in advance.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook