Pressure Equalization of X & Y Gas Bottles

In summary: V}{RT}=\frac{P(3V)}{RT}####\implies## P = 4p/3This is the correct way to apply the combined gas law. You cannot use Boyle's law directly because the temperature is not constant.
zanyzoya
Gold Member

Homework Statement

X and Y are two gas bottles that are connected by a tube that has negligible volume compared with the volume of each bottle. There is a valve in the tube that is initially closed. X has a volume of 2V and contains hydrogen at a pressure of p, Y has a volume V and contains hydrogen at a pressure of 2p. X and Y are initially at the same temperature. The valve between the two bottles is now opened, Assuming that there is no change in temperature, what is the new gas pressure?

Homework Equations

pV=nRT

The Attempt at a Solution

rearranging R = pV/nT so
(PxVx)/(Tx nx) = (PyVy)/(Ty ny)
T's cancel so
(PxVx)/nx = (pY Vy)/ny
Vx = 2Vy and Px = 1/2 Py so...
1/2Py x 2Vy / nx = Py Vy / ny
PyVy/nx = PyVy/ny
hence nx = ny

therefore PxVx/Tx = PyVy/Ty
temperatures cancel so
PxVx = PyVy
Vx = 2Vy and Px = 1/2 Py so...
1/2 Pyx 2Vy = PyVy
PyVy = Py Vy ?!?

Attachments

• thermal physics question.docx
    211.8 KB · Views: 840
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You want to use the gas law, apparently before and after opening. How does that show in your working ?

If T is the temperature, how many moles are present in each container to begin with (in terms of p, V, and T)?

Chestermiller said:
If T is the temperature, how many moles are present in each container to begin with (in terms of p, V, and T)?
2PV/RT moles in each container. Therefore a total number of 4PV/RT moles in the system.
Hence After opening
3P2= 4P
I.e. P2= 4/3 P
Am I right?

zanyzoya said:
2PV/RT moles in each container. Therefore a total number of 4PV/RT moles in the system.
Hence After opening
3P2= 4P
I.e. P2= 4/3 P
Am I right?
You know you are.

Thanks for the help

Just got a question about this question . I'm using Boyle's law for this but am getting the new pressure as 2p/3 ?

Both bottles are at the same temperature and so will both have same constants of 2Vp.
So once the valve is opened total volume is now 3V however there is no change in temperature so boyle's constant will be the same . Equating this with P being new pressure : 3VP=2Vp ... P=2p/3 ? Is my theory wrong here?

Falcon99 said:
Just got a question about this question . I'm using Boyle's law for this but am getting the new pressure as 2p/3 ?

Both bottles are at the same temperature and so will both have same constants of 2Vp.
So once the valve is opened total volume is now 3V however there is no change in temperature so boyle's constant will be the same . Equating this with P being new pressure : 3VP=2Vp ... P=2p/3 ? Is my theory wrong here?
This is not correct. The OP analyzed the problem correctly in post #4. What made you think you could use Boyle's law on this?

Chestermiller said:
This is not correct. The OP analyzed the problem correctly in post #4. What made you think you could use Boyle's law on this?
Becuase bottle X:p,2V . Y:2p, V . Both x and y at same temperature , so constant for both is 2Vp . When valve opened new volume is 3V but the constant stays the same because temperature stays the same no ?

The "constant" is proportional to the number of moles (as in PV = nRT). 1 mole of gas will not have the same value of PV as 10 moles.

Falcon99 said:
Becuase bottle X:p,2V . Y:2p, V . Both x and y at same temperature , so constant for both is 2Vp . When valve opened new volume is 3V but the constant stays the same because temperature stays the same no ?
Initial number of moles = ##\frac{p(2V)}{RT}+\frac{(2p)V}{RT}=\frac{4pV}{RT}##

Final number of moles = ##\frac{P(3V)}{RT}##

Initial number of moles = Final number of moles

1. What is pressure equalization of gas bottles?

Pressure equalization of gas bottles refers to the process of ensuring that the pressure inside two gas bottles, labeled as X and Y, are equal. This is important to maintain the stability and safety of the bottles and their contents.

2. Why is pressure equalization important for gas bottles?

Pressure equalization is important for gas bottles because it helps prevent any imbalances in pressure that could cause the bottles to rupture or explode. It also ensures that the gas can be easily and safely transferred between the bottles.

3. How is pressure equalization of gas bottles achieved?

Pressure equalization is achieved by connecting the two gas bottles, X and Y, with a tube or hose. One end of the tube is attached to X and the other end is attached to Y. The valve on the tube is then opened to allow the pressure to equalize between the two bottles.

4. What factors can affect pressure equalization of gas bottles?

Several factors can affect the pressure equalization of gas bottles, including the temperature and volume of the gas inside the bottles, the size and length of the connecting tube, and any obstructions or restrictions in the tube that could impede the flow of gas.

5. How often should pressure equalization be performed on gas bottles?

Pressure equalization should be performed each time gas is transferred between the bottles or when there is a significant change in temperature or pressure. It is important to regularly check and maintain the pressure equalization to ensure the safety and integrity of the gas bottles.