Pressure difference between two bulbs measured by a mercury manometer

In summary, a gas thermometer consisting of two gas-containing bulbs is used to measure the pressure difference between them using a mercury manometer. The pressure difference is 120mmHG when one bulb is at the triple point of water and the other is at the boiling point. When one bulb is at an unknown temperature, the pressure difference is 90.0 mm Hg. To find the unknown temperature, we can use the equation Δp = AT1 - BT2, where A and B are constants determined by the values of ni, Vi, and R.
Bane
The setup is a particular gas thermometer constructed of two gas containing bulbs, each of which is put into a water bath on adjacent sides. The pressure difference between the two bulbs is measured by a mercury manometer. Appropriate reservoirs maintain constant gas volume in the two bulbs. There is no difference in pressure when both baths are at the triple point of water. The pressure difference is 120mmHG when one bath is at the triple point and the other is at the boiling point of water. Finally, the pressure difference is 90.0 mm Hg when one bath is at the triple point and the other is at an unknown temperature to be measured. Find the unknown temperature.

The solution says "For either container we can write piVi = niRTi. We are told that ni and Vi are constants. Then Δp = AT1 - BT2, where A and B are constants." I need help formulating the constants A and B, and an explanation. Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[itex]p_iV_i = n_iRT_i[/itex] implies [itex]p_i = \frac {n_iR} {V_i} T_i[/itex], [itex]\frac {n_iR} {V_i} = c_i = const[/itex]

What is a mercury manometer?

A mercury manometer is a scientific instrument used to measure the pressure difference between two bulbs. It consists of a U-shaped tube partially filled with mercury, with one end connected to one of the bulbs and the other end connected to the other bulb. The height difference of the mercury in the two sides of the tube indicates the pressure difference between the two bulbs.

How does a mercury manometer work?

A mercury manometer works by utilizing the principle of hydrostatic pressure. The pressure exerted by a fluid at a certain depth is proportional to the height of the fluid. The higher the pressure, the higher the mercury will rise in the tube. By measuring the height difference between the two sides of the tube, the pressure difference between the two bulbs can be determined.

Why is mercury used in a manometer?

Mercury is commonly used in a manometer because of its high density and low vapour pressure. This makes it a reliable and accurate medium for measuring pressure differences. It also has a high boiling point, which allows it to remain in liquid form at room temperature.

What is the unit of measurement for a mercury manometer?

The unit of measurement for a mercury manometer is typically millimeters of mercury (mmHg) or centimeters of mercury (cmHg). These units are commonly used in scientific and medical fields to measure pressure.

What are some common applications of a mercury manometer?

A mercury manometer is commonly used in various scientific and industrial applications such as measuring gas and liquid pressures, monitoring blood pressure in medical settings, and calibrating other pressure measuring instruments. It can also be used in experiments and demonstrations to illustrate the concept of hydrostatic pressure.