Is Yet Another Introduction to Analysis Worth Reading?

In summary, The conversation is about whether a certain book on analysis is worth reading. One person suggests that it would be a gentle introduction for someone who has only done calculus, while another person recommends a more advanced book. The original person mentions that they have some background in set theory but are not looking for an advanced text. They ultimately decide to purchase the book and thank the other person for their input. One person also mentions that the book is similar to Mr. Rogers in terms of tone, while another person believes it would be helpful as a supplement to a more challenging text.
devious_

Is this book worth it? It seems like an interesting read.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
what level are you at? if you've just done calculus with no set theory then that book looks like it would be a very gentle intro to analysis. if you have done some set theory I would get a more advanced book like the one by Pfaffenberger/Johnsonbaugh (it's cheaper too I think)

I've done a little set theory, but I'm not looking for an advanced text. I just want something I could read before I start university in a few months.

After going through random pages of it on Amazon, I think I'm going to go ahead and buy it.

Thanks for your reply though. :)

it looks like mr rogers on analysis. i would steer clear of it, unless you enjoy being talked down to.

I on the other hand think it would be excellent for the purpose devious wants. just to give him a leg up on understanding the course work to come. As a stand-alone teach yourself book, I agree it would be inadequate. Though depending on your financial resources and learning style it might be useful as a companion to a harder text.

1. What is "Yet Another Introduction to Analysis"?

"Yet Another Introduction to Analysis" is a textbook commonly used in introductory analysis courses. It covers fundamental concepts and techniques in mathematical analysis, such as limits, continuity, derivatives, and integrals.

2. Who is the author of "Yet Another Introduction to Analysis"?

The author of "Yet Another Introduction to Analysis" is Victor Bryant, a mathematician and professor at the University of Sheffield in England.

3. What makes "Yet Another Introduction to Analysis" different from other analysis textbooks?

One of the main differences is the emphasis on intuition and problem-solving techniques rather than strict formalism. The book also includes many real-world examples and applications to help students understand the relevance of analysis in various fields.

4. Is "Yet Another Introduction to Analysis" suitable for self-study?

While it is primarily designed for use in a classroom setting, the book can also be used for self-study. It includes a comprehensive set of exercises and solutions, making it a valuable resource for individuals looking to improve their understanding of analysis.

5. How can "Yet Another Introduction to Analysis" benefit students interested in pursuing a career in science or engineering?

Studying analysis is essential for students interested in science or engineering as it provides the necessary mathematical tools for understanding and solving complex problems. "Yet Another Introduction to Analysis" offers a clear and accessible introduction to this subject, making it an ideal resource for students in these fields.