1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Yo-Yo Question - Rotational motion/angular momentum

1. Feb 11, 2007 #1
    Moment of inertia center of mass....

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Assume: Friction is negligible.
    Given g= 9.81 m/s^2. The density of this large yo-yo like solid is uniform throughout. The yo-yo like solid has a mass of 2.8 kg. A cord is wrapped around the stem of the yo-yo like solid and attached to the ceiling. The radius of the stem is 5 m, and the radius of the disk is 6 m. Calculate the moment of inertia about the center of mass (axis of rotation). Answer in units of kg m^2.

2. Relevant equations

I = 1/2 M R^2

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried doing I = 1/2MR^2, which is wrong, I also thought of summing the I's of the two cylinders and the stem, but I that won't give you the I center of mass, and they don't give you the masses of the individual parts. I also tried MR^2 of the stem radius, also wrong. I also tried doing 1/2M(r^2 + R^2) which is also wrong. There are four parts to this question, but I think i can manage it as long as I get the inertia because I'm going to need it for the rest of the questions. Can anyone help me, I'm getting so frustrated with this problem!!
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2007 #2
    Bump. Anyone?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?