Experience Life: Get Away from the Computer

• Thread starter Smurf
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around the idea that people should take a break from the computer and experience life outside of online forums. There is also discussion about the age of consent and the legalities surrounding it. Some members reminisce about past discussions and debates on the forum, while others joke about the disappearance of a member. Overall, the conversation is a mix of serious and lighthearted topics.
Smurf
You People Need Lives!

Seriously, get away from the computer

There is a whole world outside of GD. It's time for you to experience it. I call it life. (except you danger, you're not ready for it yet)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think something really weird happens after midnight around here that changes all the threads to meaningless banter. :tongue2:

how dare you insult the all powerful spaghetti monster. he might smite you with his noodley appendage.

yourdadonapogostick said:
how dare you insult the all powerful spaghetti monster. he might smite you with his noodley appendage.
If you weren't underage, I'd have a really good reply to that. :grumpy:

eh, we'll just say I'm 18. what's ur reply?

I always wanted a life :frown:. The non-standard smiley codes on PF bug me.

Moonbear said:
I think something really weird happens after midnight around here that changes all the threads to meaningless banter. :tongue2:
Of course, when it comes to utterly inane threads, what could possibly top this?

You mean we should go ...out there? {points to window}

I'm at work. This is my life while I'm at work.

Do any of you have any idea how many times I have forgotten the name "Alcibiades" today and last night? It's like five or six times.

Moonbear said:
If you weren't underage, I'd have a really good reply to that. :grumpy:
He's 17 Moonie. He's old enough to say things to just not old enough to touch.
Ofcourse if he doesn't get it on his own then maybe you shouldn't tell him. :devil:

Alcibiades--the general who defected to Sparta from Athens, then defected from Sparta to Athens, then was exiled. Among other things, he was known for the horses and chariots he owned and his extravagant displays of wealth.

TheStatutoryApe said:
Ofcourse if he doesn't get it on his own then maybe you shouldn't tell him. :devil:
That's pretty much my view on it. Innocents are hard to come by these days, and with all the activity going on around the ring of fire, we might need a few to sacrifice to the volcano gods. :devil: :biggrin:

Funny you should mention gods and... (shall not disturb the innocents) ...in relation to one another... because one of the reasons why Alcibiades defected to Sparta was that his enemies in Athens were going to put him on trial for crimes against religion, one of which was the defacement of the herms, which were statues of Hermes that had extensive... (shall not disturb the innocents) ...imagery.

TheStatutoryApe said:
He's 17 Moonie. He's old enough to say things to just not old enough to touch.
the age of consent is 16

Perhaps there it is. I've also heard that in states where the age of consent is under 18 there are generally certain stipulations to that as well. When you turn 18, no matter what, you are legally an adult.

i am only 17, but i have a VISA. how does that work?

TheStatutoryApe said:
Perhaps there it is. I've also heard that in states where the age of consent is under 18 there are generally certain stipulations to that as well. When you turn 18, no matter what, you are legally an adult.

ya, in NH, my wonderful home-state, its 16. in Mass though, where i go to school, its 18. so for the summer I'm legal, when i go back to school I'm not...

So, smurf's already bailed on his own thread eh? see, its thread negligence that causes problems, not the threads themselves. tsk tsk.

Just because I'm not a chatterbox like you...

i am only 17, but i have a VISA. how does that work?
yeah but have you had a ******* ? That's what really counts.

...maybe...

what is going on? there is a lack of craziness tonight.

we need breaks every now and then you know. we're not just here purely for your own entertainment.

it was just from the way u guys were talking, every night is as crazy as last night

it was just from the way u guys were talking, every night is as crazy as last night
It varies night to night. Last night things seemed to be especially out of control on the weird scale. We're still a bit nuts all the time, but actually try to have discussions and conversations rather than the sort of stuff that seemed to be getting posted last night.

And then there are those 'special' nights. Like when me and Franz used to go on insomniac binges. Didn't you guys just hate waking up and logging on to see our names as the most recent posters of every single topic in GD?

Smurf said:
And then there are those 'special' nights. Like when me and Franz used to go on insomniac binges. Didn't you guys just hate waking up and logging on to see our names as the most recent posters of every single topic in GD?
Yes, especially when we really were making a valid effort to kill the thread killer thread and would work for an hour to bump it way down the page and one of you would show up and move it back to the top! :grumpy:

Ahh, the good old days. :rolleyes:

Where is franzy anyhow? I havn't seen him around in a bit.

BicycleTree said:
Do any of you have any idea how many times I have forgotten the name "Alcibiades" today and last night?
Do you have any idea how many times I don't give a ****?

Danger said:
Do you have any idea how many times I don't give a ****?
Do you have any idea how many people in your lifetime you've managed to piss off enough that they'd want to hire a hitman to kill you just for the pure gratification of seeing your corpse?

Smurf said:
Where is franzy anyhow? I havn't seen him around in a bit.
I don't know, but we can start crazy rumors about his disappearance. :biggrin: My guess is that now that he's on summer break he's spending all his time with that young woman he's been head over heels about for the past several months. I wonder if he'll have a different view on whether "love" exists when he returns to us? :approve:

no. he was with franzbear. he was a few feet away from franzbear when Evo shot franzbear down, closing him. franz came out and was shot on accident. he's in the hospital. and evo hasn't been around lately because of the trial cases for the murder of franzbear and the attempted murder of franz

1. What are the benefits of getting away from the computer?

Getting away from the computer can have numerous benefits for both physical and mental health. It allows for a break from screen time, which can strain the eyes and cause headaches. It also promotes physical activity and reduces sedentary behavior. Additionally, taking a break from technology can improve focus, reduce stress and anxiety, and improve overall well-being.

2. How often should I take breaks from using the computer?

It is recommended to take a break from the computer every 30 minutes to an hour. This can vary depending on individual needs and tasks, but it is important to give your eyes and mind a rest from constant screen time. Taking short breaks throughout the day can also help prevent burnout and maintain productivity.

3. What are some activities I can do instead of using the computer?

There are many activities you can do instead of using the computer, such as going for a walk or bike ride, reading a book, spending time with friends and family, practicing a hobby, or engaging in physical exercise. It is important to find activities that you enjoy and that allow you to disconnect from technology.

4. How can I limit my computer use if it is necessary for my job or studies?

If computer use is necessary for your job or studies, there are still ways to limit your screen time. You can try setting specific times for computer use and taking breaks in between, using software or apps that track and limit your screen time, or finding ways to incorporate movement and breaks into your work routine. It may also be helpful to communicate with your employer or professors about the importance of taking breaks from technology for your health.

5. Are there any long-term effects of excessive computer use?

Yes, excessive computer use can have long-term effects on both physical and mental health. It can lead to eye strain, headaches, neck and back pain, and carpal tunnel syndrome. It can also contribute to sedentary behavior, which can increase the risk of chronic diseases. Mentally, excessive computer use can lead to addiction, social isolation, and poor sleep quality. It is important to be mindful of how much time you spend on the computer and to take breaks to prevent these potential long-term effects.