1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Young's light interference experiment

1. Jul 8, 2012 #1
    Why, in the Young's double slit light interference experiment, the medium fringe is the brightest and the other ones go reducing its bright as you moves away the center, if they all suffer the same constructive interference.

Please explain this to me, I have this doubt it's been a month and I cannot find any article or site that says anything about this.

Thanks
    John

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 8, 2012 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

The full pattern seen from a double slit is a double slit interference pattern superposed on top of a single slit diffraction pattern. It's the single slit diffraction pattern that is brightest at the center and reduces in brightness as you move away from the center.

Check this out: Double Slit Diffraction

4. Jul 8, 2012 #3

Drakkith

They do not all suffer the same constructive interference. The pattern goes from constructive interference at the center of the bright spots to destructive interference as you move away. The center of the dark spots have full destructive interference and the center of the light spots have full constructive interference.

5. Jul 8, 2012 #4
    So why in the single slit, the constructive fringes bright reduces as you goes away from the center?

6. Jul 8, 2012 #5

Doc Al

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook