Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Young's modulus and bulk modulus of cooked pasta

1. Jun 2, 2009 #1
    Hi there,

I am doing some simulation on the cooking process of pasta. Now I need the viscoelastic parameters of cooked pasta (plane sheet lasagna to :) ). To be more specific, i need the shear modulus and the initial bulk modulus.

Right now I found a paper, in which a relaxation test was performed to cooked pasta and the force was measured as a function of time under constant strain (a tensile test). However, they did not provide the size of the sample, so I am unable to obtain the Young's modulus.
    If I would be able to know the young's modulus, by assuming a constant poisson's ratio, I should be able to calculate the bulk modulus and the shear modulus.

I am just wondering if anyone could help direct me somewhere for this information?

Thanks a lot.

H

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2009 #2

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi bmbbbh, welcome to PF. A simple experiment could give you the Young's modulus: hang a thin piece of cooked pasta vertically, attach a paper clip or binder clip, measure the extension, and calculate E by using the dimensions of the pasta sample and the value of the attached weight. This approach was used by Pelham and Wang ("Cell locomotion and focal adhesions are regulated by substrate flexibility," PNAS 94 (1997)) to calculate the Young's modulus of very compliant (10s of kPa) polyacrylamide films.

The Poisson's ratio of very compliant solids is typically assumed to be 0.5.

4. Jun 2, 2009 #3

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

5. Jun 5, 2009 #4
    Thank you very much.

I will check this out. Actually I was a little reluctant to do experiments and that's why ive been looking for available data in the literature.

6. Jun 5, 2009 #5
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook