Organize Your Desktop: Avoid the Mushroom Patch

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Desktop
In summary: I delete them.I don't keep any program icons on my desktop. I hate that and you can't get at them when you have other stuff open anyway. I keep everything down on the bar at the bottom (I don't remember what it's called on Windows...where the "Dock" would be on a Mac, which is where everything is on my Mac). The only things that accumulate on the desktop are downloaded files, which I either delete quickly or file away every few weeks. If they get past three columns of...stuff, then I delete them.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
I am sure this has been done before however, i have icons pop up on my desk top like sprouting mushrooms, i am never sure which ones to keep or delete, if i delete a short cut i am bound sure to need it and have to search for the program later on ,so how do you keep your desk top from looking like a mushroom patch?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't. I have to reinstall Windows at least once a year and each time I start with clean desktop, that takes care of the problem.

wolram said:
I am sure this has been done before however, i have icons pop up on my desk top like sprouting mushrooms, i am never sure which ones to keep or delete, if i delete a short cut i am bound sure to need it and have to search for the program later on ,so how do you keep your desk top from looking like a mushroom patch?
Folders.

You can make a folder *** on your desktop, and move the shortcuts there. Clears away the clutter, and you can still find them easily.

-----

*** Point mouse arrow over desktop, right-click, select "New", select "Folder"

Redbelly98 said:
You can make a folder *** on your desktop, and move the shortcuts there. Clears away the clutter, and you can still find them easily.

-----

*** Point mouse arrow over desktop, right-click, select "New", select "Folder"

Well i never, what a good idea ,i seem to learn one thing and forget two about computers every day :smile:

wolram said:
... i seem to learn one thing and forget two ... every day

Would you consider a job in governing our nation over here across the pond? It sounds like you would be much better at it than who we have now. :smile:

Redbelly98 said:
Would you consider a job in governing our nation over here across the pond? It sounds like you would be much better at it than who we have now. :smile:

For certain i would, if i could have Turbo as my chef and Evo as my advisor, and some guarantee that no one would shoot me.
Turbo, would all so be a valued advisor.

wolram said:
For certain i would, if i could have Turbo as my chef and Evo as my advisor, and some guarantee that no one would shoot me.
You may regret that guarantee after a few days in office.

wolram said:
I am honored! I would be proud to be President Wolram's chef and advisor, and I could sub as bodyguard, too if you'll let me bring my Glock 20.

Here is how I do it.

First, get rid of the things on your desktop that you absolutely know that you won't need.

Second, get rid of the things that you just think that you won't need. Make sure that what you are deleting is a shortcut. If you get rid of the shortcut, the program that it links to is still in your computer, and all you do is simply search for the program, and add another shortcut of it to you desktop if you need it again (that literally takes 5 seconds).

Third, if there are any actual programs on your desktop (not shortcuts, but programs themselves), although this shouldn't be the case anyway, you should just put the programs in a different file and replace the desktop icon with a shortcut.

This should only leave the things that you know that you abolutely need, and when something comes up in which you need a shortcut that you got rid of, you now know how to restore it easily and quickly.

gnome with a couple of panels + compiz fusion. Can't live without anymore and don't really need to have anything on desktop.

Good you don't have a wider monitor, I am in Warsaw and your clock is already somwhere near Taipei.

Borek said:
Good you don't have a wider monitor, I am in Warsaw and your clock is already somwhere near Taipei.

:rofl: I deleted that post because it was stretching the thread too much. He can repost a smaller version when he gets a chance.

I don't keep any program icons on my desktop. I hate that and you can't get at them when you have other stuff open anyway. I keep everything down on the bar at the bottom (I don't remember what it's called on Windows...where the "Dock" would be on a Mac, which is where everything is on my Mac). The only things that accumulate on the desktop are downloaded files, which I either delete quickly or file away every few weeks. If they get past three columns of files, I can't stand it and clean up then, even if it means I have a lot of "miscellaneous" folders.

I have lots of folders, trouble is i forget what they are, i even have bike photos in a chili folder,
i will have to move them some day.

Moonbear said:
:rofl: I deleted that post because it was stretching the thread too much...

Ah, that explains it.

Borek, for a moment I thought you were doing the Sarah Palin thing, not responding to what was posted and instead responding to what you imagine should be posted.

(Actually, pretty much all the debaters do this ... she was just more blatant about it. But I digress.)

Redbelly98 said:
Borek, for a moment I thought you were doing the Sarah Palin thing, not responding to what was posted and instead responding to what you imagine should be posted.

Would you believe it... At first I planned to write that clock is on Alaska but I have consulted my monitor direction with Google Earth :rofl:

And Taipei is valid only today, most of the time it will be Madagaskar, but I had to rotate my desk to get access to the wall behind.

Well, thanks for clearing things up! :confused:

right click and hit view then details. This is very nice for looking at a large quantity. This will only work if they are in a folder.

wolram said:
I have lots of folders, trouble is i forget what they are, i even have bike photos in a chili folder,

I've always used folders. I try to make them general: Music, Pictures, Games, Downloads. Then I sometimes place related program shortcuts in the folders aswell.

wolram said:

Have you considered an external hard-drive?

And by the way, you are officially awesome for having a chili folder.

Math Jeans said:
Have you considered an external hard-drive?

My chili folder is busting at the seams, if i cooked one recipe a day i would have to live to about 100 to use them up.

Math Jeans said:
Doesn't everyone? :confused:

turbo-1 said:
Doesn't everyone? :confused:

Unfortunately, I'm the only one in my area who actually enjoys spicy foods.

1. How can I effectively organize my desktop?

There are several ways to effectively organize your desktop, such as creating folders for different categories of files, using a file naming system, and regularly deleting unnecessary files. It can also be helpful to use a desktop organizing software.

2. What is the "Mushroom Patch" on my desktop?

The "Mushroom Patch" refers to the clutter of icons and files that tend to accumulate on a desktop, resembling a patch of mushrooms. This can make it difficult to find and access important files.

3. Why is it important to avoid the "Mushroom Patch"?

Avoiding the "Mushroom Patch" is important because a cluttered desktop can decrease productivity and make it difficult to find important files. It can also slow down your computer's performance.

4. How often should I organize my desktop?

It is recommended to organize your desktop at least once a week to prevent the "Mushroom Patch" from forming. However, if you have a lot of files and frequently download or save new ones, it may be beneficial to organize more often.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tips for organizing my desktop?

Yes, there are several shortcuts and tips for organizing your desktop. For example, you can use keyboard shortcuts to quickly select and move files, create a designated "Downloads" folder for easy access to recently downloaded files, and use color-coded folders for different categories of files.