Survey Reveals Teenagers Think Scientists are 'Freaks

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
In summary, the majority of teenagers do not picture scientists as "normal young and attractive men and women". This may be because of the increasing number of disruptive students in the classroom.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
At least, according to this recent survey :tongue2:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4630808.stm

Teenagers value the role of science in society but feel scientists are "brainy people not like them", research suggests.

The Science Learning Centre in London asked 11,000 pupils for their views on science and scientists.

Around 70% of the 11-15 year olds questioned said they did not picture scientists as "normal young and attractive men and women".

The research examined why numbers of science exam entries are declining.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Physics news on Phys.org
Hope you don't mind me adding this related link as to why interest is declining. No experiments being allowed due to stupid kids.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/3414419.stm

Disruptive pupils wreck science

Disruptive behaviour by pupils has caused the cancellation of science practical lessons in more than half of schools, claims a survey.

There freaks aparently they think it's cool to be dum :rofl:

Evo said:
Hope you don't mind me adding this related link as to why interest is declining. No experiments being allowed due to stupid kids.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/3414419.stm
Disruptive pupils wreck science
Disruptive behaviour by pupils has caused the cancellation of science practical lessons in more than half of schools, claims a survey.
That article states:
"If there is a pupil who is known to behave badly, and cannot be removed, teachers do not want to take lessons which could involve acids or gas burners," said Mr Cotgreave.

My question is...why can't the disruptive students be removed? When I was in school, we were all tested on the safety rules each year, and had to pass with 100% correct (even if students had to take the test repeated times) before we were allowed to participate in the laboratory portion of the class. And, after that, we had an absolutely zero tolerance for misbehavior during the lab. If you acted up and broke any safety rule, you spent the remainder of the class sitting in the principal's office explaining why you can't follow simple safety rules. Our teachers were also quite effective at making the point clear of why they were so strict about the safety rules by telling their stories of the students who were permanently blinded because they weren't wearing their goggles when something shot out of their test tube at them, or showing the pair of goggles they had mounted in a plexiglass display case that were completely covered in some white substance, with the reminder that the student who had been wearing them was very, very fortunate they were wearing them when that accident happened, etc.

They shouldn't allow a few kids to ruin it for everyone. Those kids should simply be removed from that course if they can't conduct themselves appropriately in the classroom. Put the ones who can't behave into a boring, lecture-only version of the course with lengthy writing assignments instead of laboratory exercises. I'd bet you'd see kids learning to conduct themselves properly very quickly when that's their alternative.

Moonbear said:
My question is...why can't the disruptive students be removed? When I was in school, we were all tested on the safety rules each year, and had to pass with 100% correct (even if students had to take the test repeated times) before we were allowed to participate in the laboratory portion of the class. And, after that, we had an absolutely zero tolerance for misbehavior during the lab. If you acted up and broke any safety rule, you spent the remainder of the class sitting in the principal's office explaining why you can't follow simple safety rules.

Lawsuit...

That's how it was at my school, aside from the fact that it was to poor to do many lab experiments the majority of my class couldn't be trusted to do the labs. There were 17 people in my class and a lot of them either acted stupidly in labs, didn't care at all about them or both. As a result I went into university having no lab experience at all. The most exciting thing we ever did was WATCH our teacher melt ice for a chem lab...we did get to do a titration but that's it. I was the only one to go on to study in a field of science after high school the rest went into education (oh the irony) or some form of arts, and a few went into trades (some of that could be considered science though I guess).

Last edited:

1. Why do teenagers think scientists are 'freaks'?

The survey may have revealed that teenagers perceive scientists as 'freaks' due to a lack of understanding and exposure to the world of science. Stereotypes portrayed in media and limited interactions with scientists may also contribute to this perception.

2. What can be done to change this perception?

To change this perception, it is important for scientists to engage with teenagers and show them the real side of science. This can be done through outreach programs, science fairs, and other hands-on activities that showcase the exciting and diverse aspects of science.

3. Are there any negative effects of this perception?

Yes, this perception can discourage teenagers from pursuing careers in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) fields. It can also lead to a lack of understanding and appreciation for the contributions of scientists to society.

4. How can scientists combat this negative perception?

Scientists can combat this negative perception by being more visible and approachable. They can also actively seek out opportunities to engage with teenagers and educate them about the importance and relevance of science in everyday life.

5. Is the 'freak' label just a harmless stereotype?

No, the 'freak' label can have a damaging impact on the self-esteem and confidence of scientists, especially those who are teenagers themselves. It can also perpetuate the misconception that scientists are 'uncool' or 'nerdy', discouraging others from pursuing a career in this field.