Zero Point Energy: Harmonic Oscillator vs Rigid Rotator

In summary, Zero point energy comes from the friction of space stretching around atoms. The universe is constantly expanding, and this may create an incredible amount of power.
Useful nucleus
The harmonic oscillator and the rigid rotator are traditional examples in any quantum mechanics text. The former can represent the vibrations of a diatomic molecule while the latter can represent its rotation. By solving the time-independent Schroedinger equation for the two systems, one obtains:
E[itex]_{n}[/itex] = const. (n+[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]) , where n=0,1,2,... for the harmonic oscillator, and:
E[itex]_{J}[/itex]=const. J(J+1) , where J=0,1,2,... for the rigid rotator.

One can see that in the former case there is zero point energy (at n=0), while in the latter there is not (J=0 [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] E=0). In one text I came across the following explanation for the appearance of the zero point energy in the harmonic oscillator:
If E=0 , Kinetic energy =0 [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] momentum=0 AND potential energy =0 [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] x=0 . Hence, Both Δx=0 and Δp=0 violating the uncertainty principle.

I tried to follow this logic on the rigid rotator for which the potential energy is zero by construction. Hence, E=0 implies p=0 but the position has infinite uncertainty ( I guess it may be better to talk about angular momentum and angle here instead of p, x).

I tried to conclude from this that zero point energy arises from potential energy. For potential-free systems , it should not arise. Am I right in my conclusion? Any insight will be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Useful nucleus said:
I tried to follow this logic on the rigid rotator for which the potential energy is zero by construction. Hence, E=0 implies p=0 but the position has infinite uncertainty ( I guess it may be better to talk about angular momentum and angle here instead of p, x).

One comment. In the rigid rotator, if the angular momentum is zero, that means the angle is completely uncertain - it can be anything between 0 and 2 pi.

Thank you for refining my statement, phyzguy! I would improve my statement by saying that E=0 does not violate any form of the uncertainity principle in the ridgid rotator case.

So in laments terms, Zero Point Energy actually comes from the friction from the fabric of space stretching around atoms (causing them to move), and since the universe is continually expanding, it could potentially create an incredible amount of power?

Last edited:
rcttsoul2 said:
So in laments terms, Zero Point Energy actually comes from the friction from the fabric of space stretching around atoms, and since the universe is continually expanding, it could potentially create an incredible amount of power?

There is no such thing as the 'fabric of space'. You're speaking about curved spacetime in general relativity. This means that the geometry of the spacetime has changed, so that objects trying to follow geodesics end up taking curved paths through spacetime. It certainly does not that space is some kind of fabric.

Zero point energy, as explained in the OP, is a result of the lowest energy state 'n' being non-zero.

So where is this minimal energy coming from, I still believe that energy can't be created or destroyed, I always thought that the miniscule movement of particles was caused by the continued expansion of the universe.
If you could, please explain in laments terms for me.

What is zero point energy?

Zero point energy is the lowest possible energy that a quantum mechanical physical system may have. It is the energy that a system possesses at the lowest possible temperature, known as absolute zero.

What is the difference between a harmonic oscillator and a rigid rotator?

A harmonic oscillator is a system that oscillates back and forth around a stable equilibrium point, while a rigid rotator is a system that rotates around a fixed point. The main difference is in the type of movement exhibited by each system.

How does zero point energy affect the behavior of a harmonic oscillator?

Zero point energy causes the harmonic oscillator to continue oscillating even at absolute zero temperature. This is because the oscillator cannot have an energy level lower than the zero point energy, so it will always have some amount of energy and continue to oscillate.

What is the relationship between zero point energy and the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle states that there is a limit to how precisely we can know the position and momentum of a particle. Zero point energy contributes to this uncertainty by making it impossible to know the exact energy of a system at absolute zero temperature.

Can zero point energy be harnessed for practical use?

While zero point energy holds a lot of potential for energy generation, it is currently not possible to harness it for practical use due to technical limitations. However, research and experimentation in this area continue to explore the possibility of utilizing zero point energy in the future.