Brain Waves + Trance Music: Uncovering the Mystery

• Thread starter oldunion
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Music
In summary: It can be like a drug in a sense, and depending on your mindset it can be very relaxing or stimulating.
oldunion
I enjoy listening to rap mostly, especially when driving, and i have an appreciation for other types of music. But there is something about trance that seems to hold some mathematical pattern. Obviously it does because it can be measured, but certain songs seem to interact with the brain. It is as if you could be doing anything and not even realize that you were listening to music, or at the very least you would not be distracted by it.

Also what is the frequency of brain waves and what would happen if you listened to trance music at this frequency?

Biology news on Phys.org
I like to think about it as if trance oscillates on the frequency of your subconsciousness

cronxeh said:
I like to think about it as if trance oscillates on the frequency of your subconsciousness
i like this

oldunion said:
Also what is the frequency of brain waves and what would happen if you listened to trance music at this frequency?

I just looked around. Alpha waves seem to be at the frequency of 1.5-4 cycles per second. So if you listened to a tone at this frequency, would you become distracted, synergistic qualities emerge?, ...

Unless you are under the influence of psilocybin or ibotenic acid or muscimol or mescaline or lsd or lsa or dmt or mdma, etc - trance music won't have much effect on you

Two things:

If one was in a crowded room taking a test, along with everyone else, could there possibly be mental distraction caused by brainwaves?

Could you make a receiver to "listen" to these brain waves?

some sort of a collective subconsciousness that you could tap into bla bla bla

i donno, I am a skeptic of all those holographic theories, and all that, and all this. its just too much B.S. lately.

Complex percussion music can give you a trance like experience. The african people even use it to do this, in combination with drugs, dancing and fatigue. But I do not know much about it.

As for music itself, I do not understand it. But for some reason people really connect strongly to the rhythmic element of music. It is a shallow connection, a primitive one, one non-musicians experience just as strongly as a professional musician. Maybe try to find out if people did some research on brain activity while listening to heavy percussion music.

I don't think trance music itself has this effect as strongly as pure percussion music.

Personally I am much more interested into the effects of music on higher brain functions, emotions and the fusion of harmony and melody.

Daevren said:
Complex percussion music can give you a trance like experience. The african people even use it to do this, in combination with drugs, dancing and fatigue. But I do not know much about it.

As for music itself, I do not understand it. But for some reason people really connect strongly to the rhythmic element of music. It is a shallow connection, a primitive one, one non-musicians experience just as strongly as a professional musician. Maybe try to find out if people did some research on brain activity while listening to heavy percussion music.

I don't think trance music itself has this effect as strongly as pure percussion music.

Personally I am much more interested into the effects of music on higher brain functions, emotions and the fusion of harmony and melody.

Yes, I've personally noticed the effects of trance on my emotions. it kind of puts me into a serious tranced state of focus-but it can be emotional as well depending on the song. Not every song, mind you, but occasionally you will come across a song where the sythetic percussion and synthetic chords are intoxicating.

1. What are brain waves?

Brain waves are electrical impulses that are constantly being generated by the neurons in our brain. They are measured in cycles per second (Hz) and can be categorized into five main types: beta, alpha, theta, delta, and gamma. These waves are associated with different states of consciousness and can be influenced by various factors such as thoughts, emotions, and external stimuli.

2. How does trance music affect brain waves?

Trance music has been found to induce a state of altered consciousness by synchronizing brain waves with the rhythm and beats of the music. This can lead to an increase in theta and alpha brain waves, which are associated with relaxation, creativity, and a trance-like state. Trance music can also stimulate the release of neurotransmitters such as dopamine and serotonin, which can enhance mood and promote a sense of euphoria.

3. What is the relationship between brain waves and trance states?

Brain waves play a crucial role in inducing and maintaining a trance state. As mentioned, trance music can alter brain waves to promote a theta and alpha dominant state, which is often associated with a trance-like state. This can lead to a sense of deep relaxation, heightened creativity, and altered perception. Additionally, the release of neurotransmitters can further enhance the trance experience.

4. Can trance music have any therapeutic benefits?

Yes, trance music has been found to have several therapeutic benefits. The synchronization of brain waves with the music can induce a state of deep relaxation, which can help reduce stress and anxiety. It has also been used to treat insomnia, depression, and chronic pain. Trance music can also be used in conjunction with other therapies to enhance their effectiveness.

5. Can brain waves and trance music be measured and studied scientifically?

Yes, brain waves and their response to trance music can be measured and studied using electroencephalogram (EEG) technology. This allows scientists to observe and analyze the changes in brain wave patterns during a trance state. Numerous studies have been conducted on the effects of trance music on brain waves and its potential therapeutic benefits, providing scientific evidence for its effectiveness.