Online Dating

by Mk
Tags: dating
Share this thread:
Pyrrhus
May1-07, 01:36 AM
HW Helper
P: 2,279
Never tried the online route, yet. Maybe because i'm still in college and it's easier to meet people locally. Anyway, i'll consider it for the future cause you guys make it look so promising.
light_bulb
May1-07, 01:48 AM
P: 198
it does sound promising, i'll post my pic and profile in a week to see what out there.
Reshma
May1-07, 04:15 AM
P: 777
Well, it is a good thing that they are only dating sites. Here in India, there are "matrimonial" sites where singles look for prospective brides or grooms. Personally it freaks me out (), because there is a certain amount of risk involved even when you date someone you met online let alone MARRYING them.
siddharth
May1-07, 05:06 AM
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 1,198
Quote Quote by Reshma View Post
Well, it is a good thing that they are only dating sites. Here in India, there are "matrimonial" sites where singles look for prospective brides or grooms. Personally it freaks me out (), because there is a certain amount of risk involved even when you date someone you met online let alone MARRYING them.
I agree, but it's a much better idea than the newspaper matrimonial columns. The target audience for the matrimonial sites are probably those who are interested in arranged marriages, and IMO, the websites help them get the required information better.

With the number of ads in the newspapers for "fair, slim, tall, well employed but home-loving", it's a wonder that there's any genetic diversity.
Moonbear
May1-07, 10:40 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,271
Quote Quote by shramana View Post
Yep, but they say it more politely, and to make you feel better about your weirdness they tell you that 1 in 5 people who apply are too weird for them
Does that mean they rejected you or someone you know too? I thought it was hilarious that they rejected him, and thankfully, so does he. Maybe we should set up another dating website just for eHarmony rejects so they can meet each other.
Vagrant
May1-07, 11:17 AM
P: 200
They rejected me. Not that I was interested, I'm too young for anything serious, just dead bored and I told them that my social life is non-existent and I have no intention of having one either. I found it hilarious too. Actually they gave me such a great personality profile I thought people who they accept have to be too boring for me.
out of whack
May1-07, 12:05 PM
P: 465
I told them that my social life is non-existent and I have no intention of having one either.
The veil of mystery has just been lifted!
Vagrant
May1-07, 12:07 PM
P: 200
Yes I shouldn't have tested their tolerance on that one.
Moonbear
May1-07, 12:39 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
They rejected me. Not that I was interested, I'm too young for anything serious, just dead bored and I told them that my social life is non-existent and I have no intention of having one either. I found it hilarious too. Actually they gave me such a great personality profile I thought people who they accept have to be too boring for me.
I did their personality profile for the same reason...bored...and they were offering that part for free. So, filled it out and thought, cool, they've done a good job of describing me and what I want, and then I took a look at the 10 sample matches they listed (all to entice you to subscribe) and thought, okay, I guess they just tossed the whole profile out the window and tried setting me up with my polar opposites. Needless to say, I never subscribed, and am glad I didn't, since the reason I couldn't find any good matches is they reject all the guys who would be good matches for me. I wonder why they let me in?
Evo
May1-07, 01:00 PM
Mentor
P: 26,449
Quote Quote by Moonbear View Post
I wonder why they let me in?
Bait?

I started filling out their questionaire once and I was really bothered by their questions, so I never registered. Immediately they were sending my profile out to creepy guys I would never have contacted. It took about a week of complaints to their customer service to get them to stop.
Moonbear
May1-07, 01:23 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
Bait?
Do only guys get rejected? I don't know if shramana is male or female.

I started filling out their questionaire once and I was really bothered by their questions, so I never registered. Immediately they were sending my profile out to creepy guys I would never have contacted. It took about a week of complaints to their customer service to get them to stop.
They all looked pretty creepy to me too. But yes, they seem to quickly post the profile, because within minutes of finishing the questionnaire, I was already getting messages from guys "rejecting" me because I hadn't posted a picture...that sealed the fate of that site...geez...I hadn't even registered, and already the sleezeballs were oozing out of the woodwork and then complaining, as if I had even contacted them. Not that I could reply to any of the messages without signing up. Did they really think they'd get people to pay to use their site when the only message you want to send back to the guys contacting you is "Go crawl back into your cave!?"
Math Is Hard
May1-07, 02:12 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,923
One in five people are rejected by eharmony? That's astonishing. I like my men on the eccentric side so I would probably only consider men who were rejected by eharmony. But at the moment I am not looking since I recently met someone online. We didn't meet on a dating website, though. I've never tried one of those. We met through a band fan site/bulletin board.

It seems like lately I rarely meet people who didn't meet their bf/gf online.

Quote Quote by jimmysnyder View Post
My brother met his wife online and they just clicked.
"they just clicked" ha ha - you made a funny!!
Evo
May1-07, 02:17 PM
Mentor
P: 26,449
They all looked pretty creepy to me too. But yes, they seem to quickly post the profile, because within minutes of finishing the questionnaire, I was already getting messages from guys "rejecting" me because I hadn't posted a picture...that sealed the fate of that site...geez...I hadn't even registered, and already the sleezeballs were oozing out of the woodwork and then complaining, as if I had even contacted them.
Yep, same here. Since I didn't register and didn't agree to anything, I don't know that what they did was even legal.
light_bulb
May1-07, 05:56 PM
"Go crawl back into your cave!?"
and this is why the internet is great!
Astronuc
May1-07, 08:05 PM
Admin
P: 21,827
I wonder why they let me in?
Probably they don't get such high class and intelligent women, so they took advantage of you, and Evo too!

Quote Quote by Evo
Eeeeewwwwww! Stay away from that place!
light_bulb
May1-07, 09:00 PM
i was rejected from yahoo personals for using the gieco caveman picture
Mk
May1-07, 10:18 PM
P: 2,056
Quote Quote by Astronuc View Post
Probably they don't get such high class and intelligent women, so they took advantage of you, and Evo too!
Woo! *hi-five*

Watch the master at work!
Type 7
May2-07, 07:42 PM
P: 32
Quote Quote by siddharth View Post
With the number of ads in the newspapers for "fair, slim, tall, well employed but home-loving", it's a wonder that there's any genetic diversity.
LOL

Perhaps human evolution will now be shaped by online romance seekers favoring certain genetic traits above others. Weirdness seems to be favored by PF women.

Register to reply