Register to reply

SAT tips

by Kushal
Tags: tips
Share this thread:
Kushal
Apr30-08, 10:25 AM
P: 440
hi, i have my SAT exams this saturday. i was wondering whether anyone would be having some tips concerning the test. I'm an international student (from mauritius). my mathematics is ok, but the english section might be hard, specially for words i never met before!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
New model helps explain how provisions promote or reduce wildlife disease
Stress can make hard-working mongooses less likely to help in the future
Grammatical habits in written English reveal linguistic features of non-native speakers' languages
ice109
Apr30-08, 10:26 AM
P: 1,705
work through a practice book.
lisab
Apr30-08, 12:41 PM
Mentor
P: 2,972
This site might help. The difficulty level increases as you answer more questions correctly. Plus, every time you give a correct answer they make a donation of rice to charity - paid for by the advertisers.

http://www.freerice.com/index.php

Kushal
Apr30-08, 01:11 PM
P: 440
SAT tips

i have worked the practice book. i was looking more for tips!! lol

thanks for the freerice link.... it should help!!!
rootX
Apr30-08, 01:51 PM
P: 1,294
I always try to visualize or interpret meaning from their sound (works most of times).
e.g. plausible = possible = something not bad = valid
ice109
Apr30-08, 02:28 PM
P: 1,705
Quote Quote by rootX View Post
I always try to visualize or interpret meaning from their sound (works most of times).
e.g. plausible = possible = something not bad = valid
that's a terrible method. modern languages don't work like that. better to take a word apart to figure out it's meaning.

what is your first language? french? creole? urdu?
EnSvensk
Apr30-08, 05:59 PM
P: 21
I took the SAT a while back, and my only advice would be:

1. Build up your vocabulary. I didn't do so great on my Reading Comprehension/Critical Reading because I didn't know many words. Also, make sure you know English grammar very well.

2. Practice going through the questions quickly. In both the Reading Comprehension/Critical Reading parts I was barely finishing, and sometimes I didn't have time to finish all of the questions. However, if you know your stuff well, it won't be too bad. (I finished all my math sections with at least 5-10 minutes still left.)

Register to reply