Exam-Taking Tips for University Students

In summary, these are some tips for taking exams effectively: -Never leave an exam early -Read over the entire exam before starting to answer it -Attack the exam strategically, spending 50% of your time on the harder questions -Start with the easier questions -Check your answers -Leave space for coming back to answers -Take your time to write out the algebra legibly -Practice, practice, practice
TimboJimbo
Hello everyone,
I am a first year university student studying astrophysics. I have a question regarding test-taking. I've noticed this year that during exams I tend to leave a lot of marks on the page. That is to say, I study thoroughly and devote a lot of time to doing so, but when it comes to take an exam, I sometimes can make very silly mistakes that have an effect on my grades. I am just wondering if anyone has any tips or advice on how to take exams effectively without psyching yourself out due to nerves and pressure. Thank you everyone!

Physics news on Phys.org
Certainly the most basic one is: never leave an exam early.

You've already allotted that time to be in class anyway. If you finish early, you check over every problem frontwards and backwards until time is up.

Likes CalcNerd and berkeman
  1. Read over the entire exam first and attack it strategically.
    This will help you to make the best use of the allotted time. If there's a big question at the back that's worth 50% of the marks, you'll generally want to spend 50% of your time on it. Also, you'll see what problems you have to deal with and sub-consciously you'll have some time to think about them before you answer. Sometimes there's a context to exams as well that's easier to notice when you step back and look at the big picture.
  2. Start with the easier questions. This will help to build your confidence.
  3. Check your answers. Do the units work out? Does the order of magnitude of the result seem reasonable to you?
  4. Leave space for coming back to answers.
  5. Take your time to write out the algebra legibly. It can be very easy to miss a step or a term because of poor writing.
  6. Practice, practice, practice.
  7. Take care of yourself before you even get into the exam. Get enough sleep. Get regular exercise. Eat well. Keep quality in your down time.

1. What are some effective study strategies for exams?

Some effective study strategies for exams include creating a study schedule, reviewing notes and materials regularly, practicing with past exams or study guides, and actively engaging with the material through activities like flashcards or summarizing key concepts.

2. How can I reduce test anxiety?

To reduce test anxiety, it can be helpful to practice relaxation techniques such as deep breathing or visualization, get a good night's sleep before the exam, maintain a healthy diet and exercise routine, and remind yourself of your past successes and capabilities.

3. Is it better to study alone or in a group?

This can depend on personal preference, but both studying alone and in a group can be effective. Studying alone allows for individual focus and self-paced learning, while studying in a group can provide the opportunity to discuss and reinforce concepts with others.

4. How should I approach studying for a cumulative final exam?

To prepare for a cumulative final exam, it can be helpful to review notes and materials from throughout the course, create a study guide or outline, and focus on understanding overarching themes and connections between topics rather than just memorizing individual facts.

5. What should I do if I feel overwhelmed by the amount of material to study?

If you feel overwhelmed by the amount of material to study, it can be helpful to break it down into smaller, manageable chunks and prioritize what material is most important to understand. It may also be beneficial to seek help from a tutor or professor, or to form a study group with classmates to share the workload and discuss concepts. Taking breaks and practicing self-care can also help manage feelings of overwhelm.