A question about exam problems for Engineering students

In summary, the speaker wonders if others face the same challenges when solving exam problems and if they categorize them into two types: predictable pattern-like problems and unique problems. They struggle with the latter, particularly with ambiguously worded questions, and are curious about how others approach these types of problems in competitive exams.
newbie1127
Summary:: hi everyone,
i have always wondered whenever i am solving problems in preparation for exams, if other people see the problems that i encounter the same way i do. so, i decided i would write a post and collect perspectives.

the way i see it exam problems can be classified in two groups:
1) the predictable patttern-like problems
2) the unique problems

the first kind of problem is a pattern-like i say because, during preparation i come acrosss questions that appear the same with their values changed and i understand what the question is asking and the solution is easier to think about.

the second kind of problem is like a problem that is out of the ordinary, the questions will have some unique goal or it'll have sometimes incomplete data and it'll be multiple equations to complete the data required to obtain the solution. which is ok but, there is one more type of question that comes under this category and it's the most difficult for me, the ambiguously worded questions, in these, for me the goal is the only thing that is easy to understand, i can't imagine if the figure is vertical or horizontal and the postion of the attributes and how to approach for a solution.

i was wondering if other people encounter problems like these and think of them in a similar way and how to approach problems like these especially in competitive exams where time per question is very limited.

i am interested to know what strategies and things other people do to counter these and other challenging aspects of competitive exams.

thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
When you refer to a figure being "vertical or horizontal and the postion of the attributes and how to approach for a solution", are you talking about problems of resistance of materials, like in your previous threads?

Lnewqban said:
When you refer to a figure being "vertical or horizontal and the postion of the attributes and how to approach for a solution", are you talking about problems of resistance of materials, like in your previous threads?
nah just any numerical question that can be deciphered into multiple meanings.

Likes Lnewqban

1. What types of exam problems can engineering students expect?

Engineering students can expect a variety of exam problems, including theoretical questions, calculations, design problems, and application-based questions.

2. How should engineering students prepare for exam problems?

Engineering students should review their notes and class materials regularly, practice solving problems from textbooks and previous exams, and seek help from professors or tutors if needed.

3. Are there any specific strategies for solving exam problems in engineering?

Yes, some common strategies include breaking down complex problems into smaller parts, using diagrams or visual aids, and checking for units and significant figures in calculations.

4. How much time should be spent on each exam problem?

The time spent on each exam problem may vary depending on the difficulty and length of the problem. It is important to manage time effectively and allocate more time for challenging problems.

5. Are there any resources available to help with exam problems for engineering students?

Yes, there are various resources available such as study guides, practice problems, online tutorials, and study groups. It is also helpful to utilize resources provided by the professor, such as review sessions or office hours.