Proving a group G is isomorphic to D_10

• Thread starter alex07966
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Group
In summary, we have a non-abelian group G with size 10, where the elements have orders 1, 2, 5, or 10. By showing that there are no elements of order 10, we can find an element x of order 5 and an element y of order 2 in G. Using right cosets, we can write G as {e, x, x^2, x^3, x^4, y, xy, (x^2)y, (x^3)y, (x^4)y}. To find the value of yx, we can set yxy^{-1}=x^m and use congruence modulo 5 to show that m must
alex07966
Question: Let G be a non-abelian group such that the size of G is 10. Prove G is isomorphic to D_10.

I have started by saying the elements of G have order 1,2,5 or 10. And then showing how there are no elements of order 10 as that would make it abelian. I then show there is an element x of order 5 and an element y of order 2.
I then show G = {e, x, x^2, x^3, x^4, y, xy, (x^2)y, (x^3)y, (x^4)y} using right cosets.
NOW... i need to find what yx is equal to:
I then show that yx must be equal to either (x^2)y, (x^3)y or (x^4)y.
I think i then need to show BY CONTRADICTION that yx is not equal to the first two elements and therefore must be equal to (x^4)y. I can't reach a contradiction though! please help.

I can then say this group G has the same equations for working out the multiplication table of D_10 and is therefore isomorphic to D_10.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's one way. Write [tex]yxy^{-1}=x^m[/tex].

Try to obtain [tex]x=y^2 xy^{-2}=(x^m)^m[/tex] and thus [tex]m^2[/tex] is congruent to 1 modulo 5.

1. What is a group isomorphism?

A group isomorphism is a one-to-one and onto mapping between two groups that preserves the group structure. This means that if two groups G and H are isomorphic, then they have the same number of elements and the same group operations (e.g. multiplication, addition).

2. How can I prove that a group G is isomorphic to D10?

To prove that a group G is isomorphic to D10, you will need to show that there exists a bijective function (one-to-one and onto mapping) between the elements of G and D10 that preserves the group structure. This can be done by showing that the group operations (e.g. multiplication, addition) in G and D10 produce the same results for corresponding elements.

3. What are the elements of group D10?

The elements of group D10 are the rotations and reflections of a regular pentagon. There are 10 elements in total, which can be represented by the following symmetries: e (identity), r (rotation by 72 degrees), r2 (rotation by 144 degrees), r3 (rotation by 216 degrees), r4 (rotation by 288 degrees), f (horizontal reflection), rf (reflection about the line passing through two opposite vertices), r2f (reflection about the line passing through two adjacent vertices), r3f (reflection about the line passing through the midpoint of two opposite sides), and r4f (reflection about the line passing through the midpoint of two adjacent sides).

4. Can a group be isomorphic to more than one group?

Yes, a group can be isomorphic to more than one group. This means that there can be multiple ways to map the elements of one group onto another group while preserving the group structure. For example, a group G can be isomorphic to both D10 and D12, as long as the mappings preserve the group operations and number of elements.

5. How can I use Cayley's theorem to prove isomorphism?

Cayley's theorem states that every group G is isomorphic to a subgroup of the symmetric group on G. This means that you can prove isomorphism by showing that the elements of G can be mapped onto the elements of a symmetric group (e.g. D10) in a way that preserves the group structure. This provides a systematic way to prove isomorphism without having to explicitly define the bijective function between the two groups.