Proving a group G is isomorphic to D_10

by alex07966
Tags: dihedral, group, isomorphic, proof, prove
alex07966
Nov2-09, 07:31 AM
P: 7
Question: Let G be a non-abelian group such that the size of G is 10. Prove G is isomorphic to D_10.

I have started by saying the elements of G have order 1,2,5 or 10. And then showing how there are no elements of order 10 as that would make it abelian. I then show there is an element x of order 5 and an element y of order 2.
I then show G = {e, x, x^2, x^3, x^4, y, xy, (x^2)y, (x^3)y, (x^4)y} using right cosets.
NOW... i need to find what yx is equal to:
I then show that yx must be equal to either (x^2)y, (x^3)y or (x^4)y.
I think i then need to show BY CONTRADICTION that yx is not equal to the first two elements and therefore must be equal to (x^4)y. I cant reach a contradiction though!!! please help.

I can then say this group G has the same equations for working out the multiplication table of D_10 and is therefore isomorphic to D_10.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Cougars' diverse diet helped them survive the Pleistocene mass extinction
Cyber risks can cause disruption on scale of 2008 crisis, study says
Mantis shrimp stronger than airplanes
Billy Bob
Nov2-09, 01:19 PM
P: 394
Here's one way. Write [tex]yxy^{-1}=x^m[/tex].

Try to obtain [tex]x=y^2 xy^{-2}=(x^m)^m[/tex] and thus [tex]m^2[/tex] is congruent to 1 modulo 5.

Register to reply