by wolram
Tags: flights, stops, volcanic
Share this thread:
cristo
Apr16-10, 06:05 AM
Mentor
P: 8,325
Quote Quote by brewnog View Post
Rubbish. I was supposed to be going to Ireland for the weekend. Booo!
Surely you can get to Ireland without flying!
Frame Dragger
Apr16-10, 08:02 AM
P: 1,540
@BobG: I had no idea either, but apparantly that's where the Lord of The Rings movies were filmed. That would explain the vistas, but not why the movies were unwatchable.

Anyway, like California, isn't there always a big catch to that kind of natural beauty? :yikes:
mgb_phys
Apr16-10, 08:42 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 8,953
Quote Quote by Frame Dragger View Post
@BobG: I had no idea either, but apparantly that's where the Lord of The Rings movies were filmed.
No, that was New Zealand

Anyway, like California, isn't there always a big catch to that kind of natural beauty? :yikes:
In Iceland? - occasional volcanoes and the ever present danger of Bjork encounters.

in New Zealand - no volcanoes and even the sheep are pretty tame.
Frame Dragger
Apr16-10, 08:50 AM
Quote Quote by mgb_phys View Post
No, that was New Zealand

In Iceland? - occasional volcanoes and the ever present danger of Bjork encounters.

Oooooohhhh... heh.. no offense... well... a lot of people! Right, New Zealand = tastey lamb and people who will hang you by your ankles if you compare them to flightless birds. Iceland = "Uh.. didn't you know, that uh, Iceland is GREEN, and uh, Greenland ICEY. SHAZAM!" from a 15 year old.

Bjork... she's... interesting, in a "run you poor swan, RUN!" and "DON'T SAY 'Welcome To Bangkok!'" way. On the upside she's... ah... scary?

EDIT: Oh, and mgb... why are the sheep tame? What have you been doing to the poor.... lambs?! "Tame" or "Tramatized"?
zoobyshoe
Apr16-10, 08:55 AM
P: 5,641
You could be pecked by a kiwi, though.
Frame Dragger
Apr16-10, 09:02 AM
Quote Quote by zoobyshoe View Post
You could be pecked by a kiwi, though.
Too true mate, too true, still, better than steppin' on an inland Taipan, am I right?! *sound of unamused crickets*... right?!

Ehhh....
Borek
Apr16-10, 09:09 AM
Admin
P: 23,716
http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=395467
Frame Dragger
Apr16-10, 09:16 AM
I would just add that flying low = GAS GUZZLER.
Frame Dragger
Apr16-10, 09:16 AM
Oh... can a mentor merge the threads?
lisab
Apr16-10, 10:01 AM
Mentor
P: 3,008
Clicking that now brings you...here. It's like walking through a door into the room you just left. Took me a minute to get my bearings and figure out what happened.
mgb_phys
Apr16-10, 10:07 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
EDIT: Oh, and mgb... why are the sheep tame? What have you been doing to the poor.... lambs?! "Tame" or "Tramatized"?
Well compared to the island next door, where even the sheep are venomous.

Oh, New Zealand does have a few volcanoes but they are relatively polite and well behaved.
Cute note at the bottom of the NZ geological survey's web page
They have a link for questions, but note that "The Institute cannot determine exactly when the next eruption will occur"
Count Iblis
Apr16-10, 10:30 AM
P: 2,157
Can propellor planes fly safely throught the ash?
mgb_phys
Apr16-10, 10:33 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Quote Quote by Count Iblis View Post
Can propellor planes fly safely throught the ash?
Most large propeller planes are turbo-props so have exactly the same engine as 'jets'.
However the ash is mostly at 20-30,000 ft so it's perfectly safe for anything to fly under it, small planes, turboprops, jets and helicopters.
But it's risky if you have to climb or descend through the cloud, or if the cloud moves - and you don't want to be the one explaining to the lawyers of a 747 full of victims why you ok'ed it.
Frame Dragger
Apr16-10, 10:56 AM
Well compared to the island next door, where even the sheep are venomous.
Oh, New Zealand does have a few volcanoes but they are relatively polite and well behaved.
Cute note at the bottom of the NZ geological survey's web page
They have a link for questions, but note that "The Institute cannot determine exactly when the next eruption will occur"
I KNOW! Evolution took a really nasty turn when even the damned PLATYPUS (male) is venemous! For god's sake, the Aussies have a tick that can paralyze and kill you. A TICK. That makes Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, and Lyme sound like a cool breeze!
Frame Dragger
Apr16-10, 10:58 AM
Most large propeller planes are turbo-props so have exactly the same engine as 'jets'.
However the ash is mostly at 20-30,000 ft so it's perfectly safe for anything to fly under it, small planes, turboprops, jets and helicopters.
But it's risky if you have to climb or descend through the cloud, or if the cloud moves - and you don't want to be the one explaining to the lawyers of a 747 full of victims why you ok'ed it.
Yeah, a glass shell on your engine is really a pretty dire scenario, given the glide ratio of a 747 being somewhere between a brick and a brick with wings.
mgb_phys
Apr16-10, 11:58 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
given the glide ratio of a 747 being somewhere between a brick and a brick with wings.
The glide ratio of a 747 is 1:15 -so giving you about a 100mi glide from cruise altitude (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ba_flight_9)

Better than helicopters which seem to turn into wood chippers at the slightest provocation.
brewnog
Apr16-10, 12:18 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,793
Quote Quote by cristo View Post
Surely you can get to Ireland without flying!
I could have got a ferry but that would have cost a shedload and involved another shedload of driving. Gone to Yorkshire instead, much better!
Frame Dragger
Apr16-10, 12:20 PM
The glide ratio of a 747 is 1:15 -so giving you about a 100mi glide from cruise altitude (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ba_flight_9)

Better than helicopters which seem to turn into wood chippers at the slightest provocation.
A joke mgb... that was a joke. I for one would rather strap a rocket to my *** and pray for divine guidance than go into a helo, no arguments here.

Register to reply