by Phobos
Tags: astrophotography, photos
Share this thread:
russ_watters
Aug21-10, 07:31 AM
Mentor
P: 22,213
Quote Quote by Stanwyck66 View Post
Could it be possible I saw the shadow of one of Jupiter's moons to the bottom left?
Not sure where you live or when that makes "last night", but Europa made a transit from 10:30PM EDT on 8/19 to 1:00 AM EDT on 8/20 and Io made a transit from 2-4PM EDT on 8/18.
russ_watters
Nov17-10, 11:20 PM
Mentor
Jupiter, my new personal best!
Attached Thumbnails
Jupiter-5-RGB-moons-12x8.jpg  
chemisttree
Nov18-10, 03:19 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 3,724
Very nice, Russ!
baywax
Nov18-10, 10:43 PM
PF Gold
P: 2,215
Quote Quote by russ_watters View Post
Jupiter, my new personal best!
Whoa dude! El perfecto!!! Excellent clarity and detail... I understand the nearest object to the left in your photo is Neptune, is this correct?

I took my youngest son out to view Jupiter at its closest in 50 years and he was truly impressed. Then we went down to the 1m lensed telescope by the Planetarium... then he was like WOWed!!!

Cool!!!
russ_watters
Nov18-10, 11:20 PM
Mentor
Thanks, guys.

Quote Quote by baywax View Post
I understand the nearest object to the left in your photo is Neptune, is this correct?
The two other objects in the photo are Ganymede and Io.
baywax
Nov19-10, 07:40 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by russ_watters View Post
Thanks, guys.

The two other objects in the photo are Ganymede and Io.
Ah... two of the 400 moons of Jupiter!!! thanks Russ!!
Redbelly98
Dec22-10, 07:41 AM
Mentor
P: 12,064
I got some photos of the lunar eclipse Tuesday morning.

I used a Nikon Coolpix 4500, with a Kenko 8x32mm monocular mounted to it. All photos were later resized to 40%.

Here's a shot of the full moon Monday night, a few hours before the start of the eclipse. I was mainly setting up the focus of the monocular + camera, so that I wouldn't have to use the autofocus feature later on.

The total phase, about 3:40 a.m. Eastern USA time:

The partial phase, 3:53 a.m.:

Two exposure settings for the partial phase, about 4:00 a.m. The right-hand photo gives me a real, and eerie, sense of the Earth casting its shadow onto the moon.

baywax
Dec22-10, 11:10 AM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Redbelly98 View Post
I got some photos of the lunar eclipse Tuesday morning.

I used a Nikon Coolpix 4500, with a Kenko 8x32mm monocular mounted to it. All photos were later resized to 40%.

Here's a shot of the full moon Monday night, a few hours before the start of the eclipse. I was mainly setting up the focus of the monocular + camera, so that I wouldn't have to use the autofocus feature later on.

Far out Redbelly.... we missed the whole thing due to cloud cover, so, thank you!!
Borek
Jan16-11, 02:40 PM
Admin
P: 23,363
Just realized I posted my pictures of Janury 4th eclipse in a separate thread - somehow I missed astrophotography sticky:

http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=460858
Chronos
Feb22-11, 10:57 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,359
Nice shoot, Russ. The limb darkening is striking. Is this a result of image processing? Is this a single shot, or stacked? I would probably need half a dozen stacked images to get one this bright using my Meade 8" ACF. I should probably try using my 'big' 10" SN scope, but, the little SC is easier to set up - no tube wrestling, counter weights, or polar alignment to mess with. I like bells and whistles when it's 10 degrees outside.
russ_watters
Feb22-11, 11:09 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by Chronos View Post
Nice shoot, Russ. The limb darkening is striking. Is this a result of image processing? Is this a single shot, or stacked? I would probably need half a dozen stacked images to get one this bright using my Meade 8" ACF. I should probably try using my 'big' 10" SN scope, but, the little SC is easier to set up - no tube wrestling, counter weights, or polar alignment to mess with. I like bells and whistles when it's 10 degrees outside.
You're talking about my Jupiter pic? It's something like 1500 stacked of each color for Jupiter, 200 each color for the moons, at different exposures. I've used Photoshop for overall brightness and contrast, but the gradient towards the limb is real. The outer planets don't have full phases like the inner ones, but unless it is exactly at opposition, one side will be a little darker than the other.

I don't know why you wouldn't be able to get it bright, though, it's just a matter of exposure and Jupiter is pretty bright. You should be able to get pictures with you 8" pretty close to what I've done. I'm shooting around 1/30th sec exposures.
DLuckyE
Apr2-11, 04:55 PM
P: 44
I took this one a while back

http://www.flickr.com/photos/doggettx/5264801104/

I tried it as a single shot at first but couldn't get detail on both the moon and Jupiter at the same time, so did 2 shots and combined them.
Redbelly98
Apr2-11, 06:36 PM
Mentor
P: 12,064
Quote Quote by DLuckyE View Post

I tried it as a single shot at first but couldn't get detail on both the moon and Jupiter at the same time, so did 2 shots and combined them.
Nice! Any idea what the faint spot is, to the right of Jupiter and slightly out of the plane of the moons' orbits? (Easier to see in the full-size photo.)
DLuckyE
Apr3-11, 02:14 AM
P: 44
Quote Quote by Redbelly98 View Post
Nice! Any idea what the faint spot is, to the right of Jupiter and slightly out of the plane of the moons' orbits? (Easier to see in the full-size photo.)
I'm not sure, but I think that's Io
Drakkith
Apr15-11, 08:58 PM
Mentor
P: 11,482
Wow, this thread has been here for 4 1/2 years! I started to read the 1st page before I realized the date, and what got me to realize it was so old was Turbo saying how expensive CCD's were lol.
HeLiXe
Apr24-11, 02:09 AM
P: 410
Quote Quote by DLuckyE View Post

This is really nice :)
Chronos
Jul10-11, 01:17 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,359
I recently purchased a canon T1i [500D] for astrophotography. The meade pro III ccd was disappointing. The sensor is just too small to yield a useful FOV. I hope it may still prove useful for autoguiding.
Drakkith
Jul10-11, 01:20 AM
Mentor
P: 11,482
I've been itching for another CCD or something myself. I'll probably wait until I can get better with my Meade DSI II before I get something else though. Even if it is a huge pain in the butt most of the time.

Register to reply