Astrophotography photos

by Phobos
Tags: astrophotography, photos
mikeph
Jul15-10, 02:54 AM
P: 1,199
Thanks! I waited for a good hour for the right lighting. It's just a shame I didn't have my longer lens, I might have been able to get some resolution with a 200mm lens- although I don't know how I would have kept the camera still.

I took a similar photo handheld at about f/5.6, 1/30 second exposure and it was just a big blurry line, so I imagine at a large zoom I will need even more light.

You're right about the diaphragm blades, there are 6 which are slightly curved so at f/22 it is probably 80% hexagon, 20% sphere.
FawkesCa
Jul23-10, 09:56 PM
P: 44
ten points if you can figure out how i took this pic of Mars. (hint: i did cheat, but i DID take this with my own camera)
Attached Thumbnails
cell 039.jpg  
FawkesCa
Jul23-10, 09:59 PM
P: 44
and just for kicks, ill throw this in with it
Attached Thumbnails
cell 045.jpg  
adyarbakery
Jul25-10, 06:06 PM
P: 1
hi,

I took these photos of the sky from Yosemite.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/adyarbakery/4827577169/

I found that there were streaks on the image - which could be a planet, comet or a meteor. I know it is not a planet (I checked on stellarium for that). However I can not figure out if it is a comet or a planet. These are 8 second exposures. Any idea if it is a comet or a meteor?

I tend to gravitate towards it being a comet, since it was in the sky for an extended period of time (photographs taken after 5 minutes later also showed the streak).

Any ideas how to figure out?

thanks,
ab
Aug10-10, 09:46 PM
P: 2
Quote Quote by adyarbakery View Post
hi,

I took these photos of the sky from Yosemite.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/adyarbakery/4827577169/

I found that there were streaks on the image - which could be a planet, comet or a meteor. I know it is not a planet (I checked on stellarium for that). However I can not figure out if it is a comet or a planet. These are 8 second exposures. Any idea if it is a comet or a meteor?

I tend to gravitate towards it being a comet, since it was in the sky for an extended period of time (photographs taken after 5 minutes later also showed the streak).

Any ideas how to figure out?

thanks,
ab
Hello.
It is probably neither. Firstly, the trail in the first picture is curved and it has distinct dotted pattern. Secondly, the object appears to be moving towards (or perhaps from?) the constellation Perseus throughout the gallery. None of them look like or behave like that. My bet would be a man-made object flashing at ~1s intervals (since the are around 7 light pulses in each photo and your exposures are 8s).
Aug10-10, 11:40 PM
P: 2
I've been lucky tonight and managed to snap a perseid :). On the left side you can see constellations Perseus and a bit of Cassiopeia, the Double Cluster, M31 is visible as well (near the center of the image). The gradient present is a glow of a city. Photo details: taken by Sony Alpha 100, 30s exposure, f/5, 100 iso, location: Brno, Czech republic
Attached Thumbnails
pers1182010.jpg  
Caramon
Aug15-10, 02:49 PM
P: 133
Hey guys!
I currently have a Dobsonian XT8 Classic (8" Aperature) telescope and I do regular observing at least once a week. I own a set of Celestron lenses and filters so my gear is decent! I have been observing for a few months now and I've gotten to take a wonderful look at the Orion Nebula (M42), Jupiter, M22, among many other objects. I've recently become interested in Astrophotography and was wondering how I would be able to start. What equipment and necessary skills would be required to begin a life long journey in Astrophotography? If you would be able to explain some things about Astrophotgraphy or post some links for me to read that would be wonderful!

This was my first moon photo taken with a digital camera:
chemisttree
Aug20-10, 04:20 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 3,725
I took this photo early this morning using an IR pass filter on a SPC900NC webcam. The moons are, from top to bottom, Ganymede, Io and Europa. Too bad there was no GRS visible.
Attached Thumbnails
Jupiter 8-20-10_0000 Jupiter and Moons in IR.jpg  
Stanwyck66
Aug21-10, 12:35 AM
P: 20
I was out poking around in the sky last night and noticed a small spot on Jupiter I hadn't noticed before. The spot seemed a bit too small to be the GRS and looked like a dark point in my scope. Unfortunately, it didn't show up in the photograph but appeared where the arrow ends in this image.

Could it be possible I saw the shadow of one of Jupiter's moons to the bottom left?
Attached Thumbnails
Jupiter.jpg  
Chronos
Aug21-10, 01:21 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,182
er, any picture with clouds and blue in the background are probably not mars.
russ_watters
Aug21-10, 07:31 AM
Mentor
P: 22,000
Quote Quote by Stanwyck66 View Post
Could it be possible I saw the shadow of one of Jupiter's moons to the bottom left?
Not sure where you live or when that makes "last night", but Europa made a transit from 10:30PM EDT on 8/19 to 1:00 AM EDT on 8/20 and Io made a transit from 2-4PM EDT on 8/18.
russ_watters
Nov17-10, 11:20 PM
Mentor
Jupiter, my new personal best!
Attached Thumbnails
Jupiter-5-RGB-moons-12x8.jpg  
chemisttree
Nov18-10, 03:19 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 3,725
Very nice, Russ!
baywax
Nov18-10, 10:43 PM
PF Gold
P: 2,215
Quote Quote by russ_watters View Post
Jupiter, my new personal best!
Whoa dude! El perfecto!!! Excellent clarity and detail... I understand the nearest object to the left in your photo is Neptune, is this correct?

I took my youngest son out to view Jupiter at its closest in 50 years and he was truly impressed. Then we went down to the 1m lensed telescope by the Planetarium... then he was like WOWed!!!

Cool!!!
russ_watters
Nov18-10, 11:20 PM
Mentor
Thanks, guys.

Quote Quote by baywax View Post
I understand the nearest object to the left in your photo is Neptune, is this correct?
The two other objects in the photo are Ganymede and Io.
baywax
Nov19-10, 07:40 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by russ_watters View Post
Thanks, guys.

The two other objects in the photo are Ganymede and Io.
Ah... two of the 400 moons of Jupiter!!! thanks Russ!!
Redbelly98
Dec22-10, 07:41 AM
Mentor
P: 11,986
I got some photos of the lunar eclipse Tuesday morning.

I used a Nikon Coolpix 4500, with a Kenko 8x32mm monocular mounted to it. All photos were later resized to 40%.

Here's a shot of the full moon Monday night, a few hours before the start of the eclipse. I was mainly setting up the focus of the monocular + camera, so that I wouldn't have to use the autofocus feature later on.

The total phase, about 3:40 a.m. Eastern USA time:

The partial phase, 3:53 a.m.:

Two exposure settings for the partial phase, about 4:00 a.m. The right-hand photo gives me a real, and eerie, sense of the Earth casting its shadow onto the moon.

baywax
Dec22-10, 11:10 AM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Redbelly98 View Post
I got some photos of the lunar eclipse Tuesday morning.

I used a Nikon Coolpix 4500, with a Kenko 8x32mm monocular mounted to it. All photos were later resized to 40%.

Here's a shot of the full moon Monday night, a few hours before the start of the eclipse. I was mainly setting up the focus of the monocular + camera, so that I wouldn't have to use the autofocus feature later on.

Far out Redbelly.... we missed the whole thing due to cloud cover, so, thank you!!

Register to reply