What is brain plasticity?

by sameeralord
Tags: brain, plasticity
Share this thread:
sameeralord
Feb11-11, 10:02 AM
P: 640
Hello everyone,

Ok I read the definitions. I think it is how the brain learns from mistakes, and remembers stuff and rewires itself. But I would still like to get someone's else's opinion on this. Thanks
Phys.Org News Partner Biology news on Phys.org
Sea star disease strikes peninsula marine centers
How sweet it is: New tool for characterizing plant sugar transporters
The right amount of grazing builds diverse forest ecosystems
ebits21
Feb11-11, 07:28 PM
P: 51
Usually when you're talking about neuroplasticity, you're talking about the ability of certain brain areas to take over functions of the brain that have been damaged.

As an extreme example, you can actually remove an entire hemisphere of the brain in early life, and the remaining hemisphere will take over most of the functions of the missing hemisphere. You can't do this with adults. As the brain ages it specializes based on which neurons are used. The ones that aren't used actually undergo apoptosis and die. Therefore brain plasticity reduces with age.

In a general sense, though, neuroplasticity could refer to any ability for the brain to change from experience.
sameeralord
Feb12-11, 12:39 AM
P: 640
Thanks

rhody
Feb21-11, 01:21 PM
PF Gold
P: 765
What is brain plasticity?

Quote Quote by sameeralord View Post
Hello everyone,

Ok I read the definitions. I think it is how the brain learns from mistakes, and remembers stuff and rewires itself. But I would still like to get someone's else's opinion on this. Thanks
sameeralord,

You might want to have a look over here. I think you will be pleasantly surprised. You could have found it using the search feature by entering your keywords too.

Rhody...

Register to reply