Quaternion Polynomial Equation

by alexfloo
Tags: equation, polynomial, quaternion
Share this thread:
alexfloo
Dec9-11, 12:07 AM
P: 192
I'm working on the following:

"Prove that [itex]x^2 - 1=0[/itex]" has infinitely many solutions in the division ring Q of quaternions."

The Quaternions are presented in my book in the representation as two-by-two square matrices over ℂ. The book gives that for a quaternion

(sorry for the terrible notation, I wasn't able to figure out how to do a matrix in here and I didn't want to do the tex by hand)
[itex]\stackrel{a+bi\ \ c+di}{-c+di\ \ a-bi}[/itex]

has inverse

[itex]\frac{1}{a^2+b^2+c^2+d^2}\stackrel{a-bi\ \ -c-di}{c-di\ \ a+bi}[/itex].

Now if [itex]x^2-1=0[/itex], then clearly [itex]x=x^{-1}[/itex]. This means that the individual components must be equal, so a+bi is a real multiple of its conjugate, which requires that it is real, and that multiple is one, or that it is imaginary, and that multiple is -1. Since the multiple is identically positive (sum of squares) b=d=0, and since the multiple must equal 1, [itex]a^2+c^2=1[/itex]. This gives us

[itex]\stackrel{a\ \ c}{-c\ \ a}=\stackrel{a\ \ -c}{c\ \ a}[/itex],

so c=-c=0. Therefore, a=1, which seems to imply that 1 (the quaternion unity) is the unique solution.

What am I missing?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
Ben Niehoff
Dec9-11, 02:59 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,594
Are you sure there isn't a typo in the question? I would expect [itex]x^2 + 1 = 0[/itex] to have infinitely many solutions. [itex]x^2 - 1 = 0[/itex] should have two solutions.
Deveno
Dec9-11, 03:41 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 906
if q* is the quaternial conjugate, then qq* is real. note that q-1 = q*/|q|, so from q = q-1, we get q = q*/|q|, implying that q is real.

but x2 -1 = 0 has just two real solutions, 1 and -1.

if it IS a typo, consider (ai + bj + ck)2, where a2+b2+c2 = 1 (which has infinitely many solutions (a,b,c)).

alexfloo
Dec9-11, 11:21 AM
P: 192
Quaternion Polynomial Equation

In fact, it wasn't a typo at all. The problem just before it references the polynomial [itex]x^2-1[/itex] over an entirely different field, and I misread. Apologies, and thanks for your help!

Register to reply