I must understand connectivity wrong, because my book says this. The

• Thread starter aaaa202
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
In summary, the region between two concentric spheres can still be considered simply connected even if there is a hole in the middle. This is because the hole does not prevent a closed curve from continuously shrinking to a point. The shape of the hole, whether it goes all the way through the sphere or is just a line removed, does not affect the region's simply connectedness.
aaaa202
I must understand connectivity wrong, because my book says this. The region between to concentric spheres is simply connected? How is this possible when there is clearly a hole in the middle of this region?

Physics news on Phys.org

That kind of "hole" doesn't prevent you from continuously shrinking a closed curve to a point. It would have to be a hole shaped like a cylinder or something, that goes all the way through the sphere. Consider e.g. the open unit ball with a line removed: ##\{x\in\mathbb R^3:\|x\|<1\}-\{x\in\mathbb R^3: x_1=x_2=0\}##.

Is a sphere, which has a hole in the middle, not simply connected? Note that this is really the same as your example, since your region deformation retracts onto a sphere.

The kind of hole you're noticing doesn't affect simply connectedness - it isn't detected by [itex]\pi_1[/itex]. (But it is detected by [itex]\pi_2[/itex].)

Related to I must understand connectivity wrong, because my book says this. The

1. Why is understanding connectivity important?

Understanding connectivity is important because it allows scientists to better understand how different components of a system are linked and interact with each other. This is crucial for predicting how changes in one component can affect the entire system, and for identifying potential problems or vulnerabilities.

2. What does it mean to "understand connectivity wrong"?

Understanding connectivity wrong refers to having a flawed or incomplete understanding of how different components of a system are connected and interact with each other. This can lead to incorrect assumptions and predictions about the system, which can have negative consequences.

3. How can I improve my understanding of connectivity?

Improving your understanding of connectivity involves actively studying and analyzing the connections and interactions between different components of a system. This can be done through various methods such as data analysis, experimentation, and modeling. It also involves constantly questioning and revisiting your understanding to ensure accuracy.

4. What are some common misconceptions about connectivity?

Some common misconceptions about connectivity include assuming that all components of a system are directly connected, or that the connections between components are static and unchanging. Another misconception is thinking that all connections have equal importance, when in reality, some connections may be stronger or more influential than others.

5. How can understanding connectivity benefit society?

Understanding connectivity has numerous benefits for society. It can help us better manage and protect complex systems such as ecosystems, transportation networks, and communication systems. It can also aid in identifying and solving problems, improving efficiency, and making more informed decisions about resource allocation.