Lagrangian points in circular restricted three-body problem

L1 closer to the larger body and L2 closer to the smaller body.For part (b), we can use a similar approach to find the coordinates of the L4 and L5 points. Setting the partial derivatives of U with respect to r1 and r2 equal to zero and solving for x and y, we get:x = ±√[(1/2)(3-μ1)]y = ±√[3√(1-μ1^2)/2]These coordinates correspond to the triangular Lagrangian points L4 and L5, which are located at the vertices of an equilateral triangle formed by the two massive bodies.In summary
Deleted member 396972
QUESTION:
In the circular restricted 3-body problem, if we consider motion confined to the x-y plane and adopt units such that G(m1 + m2) = 1 [m1 and m2 are the masses of the two heavy bodies], the semimajor axis of the relative orbit of the massive bodies = 1, and n = 1 (n is mean motion, 2∏/period), the effective potential associated with Jacobi's constant is U = -1/2(x2 + y2) - μ1/r1 - μ2/r2, where μ1 = m1/(m1+m2), μ2 = m2/(m1+m2), r12 = (x + μ2)2 + y2 and r22 = (x - μ1)2 + y2. [Note - it doesn't say so in the question, but I assume x and y are in the rotating frame of the two massive bodies, with both bodies along the x axis, and the origin at their centre of mass.]
(a) The Lagrangian points are locations where a test particle could remain stationary in the rotating frame. Show that these are stationary points of U.
(b) Find the positions of the triangular Lagrangian points L4 and L5 by showing that dU/dr1 = 0 and dU/dr2 = 0 [partial derivatives] would give stationary points.

MY PROGRESS:
(a) I am unsure of the overall approach to take.
I calculated the partial derivatives of U with respect to x and y. I know that to find stationary points, I set both of these to zero, then solve the two equations simultaneously. But this will be very messy and it doesn't seem like the right approach here.
I also know -[itex]\nabla[/itex]U should equal the force per unit mass on the test particle, which must be zero if the particle is stationary, as is the case at Lagrangian points. So we get 0 = -dU/dx -dU/dy -dU/dz [partial derivatives]. dU/dz = 0, so we get dU/dx = -dU/dy. As above, I know what dU/dx and dU/dy are. But subbing them in gives an extremely messy equation. And anyway, where would I go next?? Would solving the equation for x and y give me sets of coordinates that I could sub into dU/dx and dU/dy to show they would be zero?
(b) I have written x and y as functions of r1 and r2. Then I could sub these into the expression for U and take dU/dr1 and dU/dr2. But these are also very messy...

Astronomy news on Phys.org

Hello, thank you for your question. I would approach this problem by first understanding the physical significance of the Lagrangian points in the circular restricted 3-body problem. These points represent locations in the x-y plane where a test particle can remain stationary relative to the two massive bodies, due to the combined gravitational forces acting on it.

To show that these points are stationary points of the effective potential U, we can use the definition of a stationary point, which is where the gradient of U is equal to zero. In this case, we have a two-dimensional system, so we can use the partial derivatives with respect to x and y.

Starting with the partial derivative with respect to x, we have:
dU/dx = -x - μ1(x+μ2)/r1^3 - μ2(x-μ1)/r2^3

Setting this equal to zero and simplifying, we get:
x = -μ2(r1^3 - r2^3)/(r1^3 + r2^3)

Similarly, for the partial derivative with respect to y, we have:
dU/dy = -y - μ1y/r1^3 - μ2y/r2^3

Setting this equal to zero and simplifying, we get:
y = 0

These two equations represent the coordinates of the stationary points in terms of the distances r1 and r2. To find the actual coordinates, we can substitute these expressions for x and y into the equations for r1 and r2, which are:
r1 = √[(x+μ2)^2 + y^2]
r2 = √[(x-μ1)^2 + y^2]

Solving for r1 and r2, we get:
r1 = √[(-μ2)^2 + 0^2] = μ2
r2 = √[(-μ1)^2 + 0^2] = μ1

Substituting these values back into the expressions for x and y, we get the coordinates of the stationary points:
x = -μ2(r1^3 - r2^3)/(r1^3 + r2^3) = -μ2(μ2^3 - μ1^3)/(μ2^3 + μ1^3)
y = 0

These coordinates correspond to the Lagrangian points L1 and L2,

1. What are Lagrangian points in the circular restricted three-body problem?

Lagrangian points are specific locations in space where the gravitational pull of two larger bodies and the centrifugal force of a smaller third body balance out, allowing the smaller body to maintain a stable position relative to the larger bodies.

2. How many Lagrangian points are there in the circular restricted three-body problem?

There are five Lagrangian points in the circular restricted three-body problem, labeled L1 to L5. L1, L2, and L3 are collinear with the two larger bodies, while L4 and L5 are located at the vertices of an equilateral triangle formed by the three bodies.

3. What is the significance of Lagrangian points in the study of celestial mechanics?

Lagrangian points are important in understanding the dynamics of multiple-body systems, such as planets orbiting a star or moons orbiting a planet. They also have practical applications, such as in the placement of satellites in space.

4. How do the masses of the three bodies affect the positions of the Lagrangian points?

The positions of the Lagrangian points are determined by the masses of the three bodies and their relative distances. As the masses of the bodies change, the positions of the Lagrangian points will also shift.

5. Can objects remain stationary at Lagrangian points indefinitely?

In theory, objects can remain stationary at Lagrangian points indefinitely. However, in reality, other factors such as the gravitational pull of other nearby bodies and the pressure of solar wind can affect the stability of objects at these points.