Sublimation of MP & VP: Separating Compounds

• Thread starter morgan8222
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sublimation
In summary, the conversation is discussing the process of separating two compounds with a significant difference in their vapor pressures. The suggested method involves grinding the compounds, placing them in an ampoule, and using dry ice and heat to purify them. This method is commonly used in laboratories to purify samples.
morgan8222
I am wondering if I can separate these two compounds:

Y: M.P.=170 degrees C - Vapor pressure at its MP = 0.05 torr

Z: M.P.=170 degrees C - Vapor pressure at its MP = 540 torr

I think having a huge difference in vapor pressures is good. I am kind of confused about this process.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
You aren't really subliming it if you do the process at or above the melting point. It is just simple distillation. You will need a really cold "cold finger" to isolate Z. I would finely grind it and put in into an ampoule. Pull a mild vacuum on the ampoule and flame-seal the ampoule. Invert the ampoule so that the sample is entirely in the upper bulb of the ampoule. Attach the ampoule with a clamp to a vertical riser being careful to hold it vertically so that all of the sample is still contained in the lower, bulb side of the ampoule.

Now the fun part... Place a puck of dry ice on the flat side of the ampoule and heat the bulb with something. You can use an oil bath, handheld bunsen burner or lab heat gun. I prefer the oil bath. Replace the dry ice puck often. You will notice a solid slowly build up on this side of flask. When you have enough, remove the heat and dry ice and allow the ampoule to come to room temperature. Snap off the top and the base should contain very pure crystals of Z. The bulb will be quite enriched with respect to Y but will be contaminated with some Z.

This is how we purify old ampoule samples of osmium tetroxide in the lab.

1. What is sublimation and why is it used to separate compounds?

Sublimation is the process of a substance transitioning directly from a solid to a gas state without passing through a liquid state. It is used to separate compounds because different compounds have different sublimation temperatures, allowing for the separation of mixtures.

2. How does sublimation work to separate mixtures of compounds?

In sublimation, the mixture is heated until one of the compounds sublimes, leaving behind the other compounds in solid form. The gas form of the sublimed compound is then collected and cooled to form a pure solid compound. This process can be repeated multiple times to further purify the compound.

3. Can all compounds be separated through sublimation?

No, only certain compounds that have a significant difference in sublimation temperatures can be separated through sublimation. Compounds that have similar sublimation temperatures will not be effectively separated through this method.

4. What factors can affect the success of sublimation separation?

The success of sublimation separation depends on the purity of the initial mixture, the temperature and pressure conditions, and the properties of the compounds being separated. It is important to carefully control these factors to achieve a successful separation.

5. What are the advantages and disadvantages of using sublimation for compound separation?

The main advantage of sublimation is that it is a relatively simple and inexpensive process compared to other separation methods. It also allows for the separation of compounds without the use of solvents, making it a more environmentally friendly option. However, the success of sublimation greatly depends on the properties of the compounds being separated and may not work for all mixtures. It also requires careful control of temperature and pressure, which can be challenging to achieve consistently.